Contactless Meter seen on TV

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Was it me or did I see a new test meter advertised on TV last night, ITV I think, that didn't' involve needles and just involved tapping the meter on some sort of patch on your shoulder?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably the freestyle Libre, I would have imagined. A sensor is typically placed on the back of the arm between the shoulder and elbow. A meter or smart phone is then used (tapped on the sensor) to transmit "estimated" BGL values via NFC technology to the respective device.

http://www.freestylelibre.co.uk

It's okay, but a lot of forum members give it significant praise.

Grant

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just, for the sake of clarity, the libre isn't a metre that doesn't involve needles - you do have to put the sensor in with a needle. But then it lasts 10 days/two weeks I think (sorry I don't use one so not entirely sure).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is the Freestyle Libre.
The sensor is attached to your skin with a sticky patch, and a teeny tiny filament pierces the skin. It doesn't pierce a vein. It reads the glucose carried in the interstitial fluid, which is directly underneath the skin. Each sensor lasts 14 days. There are loads of threads about them on here if you search.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add there is a downside. They are not available through the NHS and they cost £50 each, plus the meter/reader on your initial purchase.