continuous kinking

samuraigwen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Medtronic mini med paradigm pump and use metronic quick set paradigm 9mm. Ive had really high sugars and ketones all day. When changing my set (which I have done five times now) I have noticed the canula is kinked hence the high sugars and ketones.
When I first started the pump I had the same problem with 5mm quick sets but this seemed resolved when I changed over to 9mm.
I have recently lost a stone could this be someyhing to do with it?
If not does anyone know why this keeps happening or has it happened.to them?
Is there anyway to tell if the canula is kinked before or while inserting/inserted.
Im at the hospital atm and really really want to go home which. I'm allowed to if I can solve this kinking problem.

Also just incase can someone explain the routine when disconnecting from the Pump and going back to basal bolus injections please.

Any help Will be most appreciated

Alys

jodysd6

I had a minimed pump and lots of kinks with quick sets, I ended up switching sets, I tried silhouettes but didn't find then comfy, I liked mios because I could see the insertion site unlike with quick sets but that's no guarantee of no kinks just makes ones near the surface easier to spot. Steel sets scared me at first but once I was brave to try them they were just as comfy as other sets and didn't kink but needed to be changed more often. Does the hospital have any samples of other sets you could try? I definitely found steel a million times more reliable when it came to kinks!

samuraigwen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou for your reply,
The hospital hasn't discussed any other types of infusion sets. I wouldn't mind steel and frequent changes for peace of mind. Ive left them an answerphone message to call me in the am so I can get an app. I will ask them about different sets thankyou

jodysd6

Good luck, the Medtronic website has info on the different sets, my hospital didn't have any samples of any but they only had about 3 people on Medtronic and the rest on other pumps so I had to order full boxes to try which was a pain but did give me a chance to give them all a good go, I know some people have been able to get samples from hospitals.