controlled blood sugar levels but increase HbA1c values

shahidrasool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dears, me 40 years old having diabetes type 2 for last 10 years, on insulin Basal and Bolus (30 and 6 units morning evening) plus oral Pioglitazone + metformin 15+500mg twice a day.
The problem is that for last 9 months my fasting blood sugar levels ranges from 110-145mg/dl and random sugar levels are upto 240 but surprisingly HbA1c values for last 9 months are 10.1%, 10.3% and 10% not correlating.
what and why happening this with my HbA1c values. please suggest something. Really worried.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hbc1c is an average of all your blood levels over I believe a 6wk interval only.
So all your individual meter readings can help you see what your current pattern of higher or lower glucose levels is but not the same as how a hba1c views your glucose average.
If you want to reduce your bgs then it will reflect on your hba1c as an improvement.
Many reduce their carb intake to make a significant improvement to their hba1c result. Reducing the risk of complications.
Do you monitor how many carbs you eat?
Type1s use carbs to insulin ratio but I've never been encouraged to do that but in times of severe stress or illness I've had to change my insulin amounts to accomodate for higher bgs.
What info were you given on using your insulin regime and are you due a review with your medical team?

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Dears, me 40 years old having diabetes type 2 for last 10 years, on insulin Basal and Bolus (30 and 6 units morning evening) plus oral Pioglitazone + metformin 15+500mg twice a day.
The problem is that for last 9 months my fasting blood sugar levels ranges from 110-145mg/dl and random sugar levels are upto 240 but surprisingly HbA1c values for last 9 months are 10.1%, 10.3% and 10% not correlating.
what and why happening this with my HbA1c values. please suggest something. Really worried.

Carbs?
Cut out as many carbs as possible. I looked at the low carb program but decided it wasn't for me, at least not at this time. What I did do was to restrict my carb intake quite dramatically. For example I was having two fairly large bowls of cereals in the morning, usually the 'healthy' ones like Weetabix and Shredded Wheat. I looked at the packs discovered that my portion sizes were massive compared to the recommended ones, so now I have for breakfast 2 eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, ham and some cheddar followed by one very small bowl of cereal (I must have cereal and milk!). Some days I might go to scrambled eggs and a couple of slices of bacon and a cooked tomato. Lunch I cut from two brown rolls to one, with a portion of meat instead of the second roll, chicken, corned beef, spam or occasionally a couple of cold sausages. I've cut out potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and of course no biscuits, sweets, cakes, pasties, sausage rolls, or anything made with flour. I do treat myself to a couple of squares of Lindt plain chocolate most days - well you have to have something don't you?
I've been on Insulin for about 18 months I also take Metformin and my last few HbA1c results have been around 5 so I must be doing something right (it was 9 before I went on Insulin).
Good luck.
PS I've also lost weight, at least 14 pounds in the last year... slow but sure.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's no use doing random tests, you really need to be testing with a bit more structure. Before meals and 2 hours afterwards will give you a clearer picture of what is going on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because the HbA1c is a sort of average of the blood glucose levels over the past 2 to 3 months, and the finger prick tests are simply a snapshot of the level at the time of the test, the 2 can't really be compared and it can be just a lucky coincidence if they correlate. Finger prick testing a few times a day doesn't tell you what you are overnight and at other times between finger prick tests.