Controlled with diet and exercise now taking metformin.

Alapp1212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started taking Bydureon then the insurance would not civetover cost so the PDA put me on Byetta which was completely awful. She told me it was just like bydureon except I took 2 shots a day instead of one a week. I stopped it after 2 shots and tried diet and exercise. That worked so well. Numbers were never higher than 130. After about 2 months my numbers went as high as 250. Now I'm taking metformin and my levels are not as good as they should be. Any ideas why this is happening?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI and welcome. I can only guess that your diet is too high in carbs? What sort of diet are you having? Metformin will help a bit but diet and some exercise are the main ways to control weight and hence blood sugar. If you can get your weight into the normal BMI range then you may be able to maintain good blood sugar with just tablets and, perhaps, insulin?

Alapp1212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per dr suggestion .. 30 carbs each meal and 15 carbs per snack. 3 snacks a day

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A rough calculation makes that 135g carbs per day? (3 x 30 + 3 x 15). That's way, way, way more than I could handle and by the fact you're struggling to control your blood sugar it could be more than you can too now. What sort of carbs do you have?

Alapp1212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
35 cal wheat bread. Cottage cheese. Yogurt. Strawberries. Protein shake make with water.

G

graj0

Per dr suggestion .. 30 carbs each meal and 15 carbs per snack. 3 snacks a day
I think with carbs you really need to use your meter to see what's best. Looking at the thread "Some do - Some don't", everyone has a different idea of what's best for them and that's probably because they all use their meter to get the optimum results.
All the best
Graham

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes: much more important than what your doctor says (doctors don't receive nutritional training and aren't up to date with diet and diabetes) is what your meter says. Try eating to your meter. Simple, clear, not ideological, quantifiable. Look at Jenny Ruhl site and her nutritional calculator too.

Phinney and Volek book is also very, very good.