coping will it get better?

Rorysmum

Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so muc, you are so wonderful, kindness and empathy always bring tears to my eyes (its easy these days).
Thank you so much.How strange it is to suddenly find yourself feeling more comfort and understanding from people you've never met than even from your friends and family?
#justadad kids are so resilient, thank god for that.How is your son doing these days?

yes water pollo is quite exhausting.His trainer was very supportive of the whole situation and keeps an eye of him, for which I am so grateful.

I will try my best to be as brave as he is...I don't want him to see me sad it would make him sad too...

Hi, my 10 year old was diagnosed in November 16. Like your son my boy happily tests and injects himself, rarely complains about any of it and has accepted it all. Me on the other hand, I have read everything and lay awake at night worrying what the future will bring. I was in such a state at the beginning and this forum helped me so much. He is still "honeymooning " so he is on barely any insulin. He is going on his school trip in 2 weeks but alas only staying for one night. He's happy with that and just accepts it. I can tell you it will get easier and it is relatively easy for them to carry on as normal. I remember our first trip to a restaurant after he was diagnosed, I was like a mad woman trying to count carbs etc. It's much easier now, each day is better. This forum helps so much, your not on your own and someone always has the answer. x

Reactions: Natt

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my 10 year old was diagnosed in November 16. Like your son my boy happily tests and injects himself, rarely complains about any of it and has accepted it all. Me on the other hand, I have read everything and lay awake at night worrying what the future will bring. I was in such a state at the beginning and this forum helped me so much. He is still "honeymooning " so he is on barely any insulin. He is going on his school trip in 2 weeks but alas only staying for one night. He's happy with that and just accepts it. I can tell you it will get easier and it is relatively easy for them to carry on as normal. I remember our first trip to a restaurant after he was diagnosed, I was like a mad woman trying to count carbs etc. It's much easier now, each day is better. This forum helps so much, your not on your own and someone always has the answer. x

Thanks @Rorysmum...I guess I still have a long way to go...I am going one day at the time...We are so lucky that our kids are the way they are..
All the best

Reactions: Rorysmum

Sydneysider

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone
I am new to this forum as our diabetes story is just 8 weeks old. My 10 year old son was diagnosed quickly after couple of days that I was noticing he was drinking a lot more and going to the bathroom 6 times per night.
After the initial shock, he took it as a fact and from day one showed discipline and acceptance. But he is changed.No more carefree laughs he's become more serious.The other day he wrote a school essay about the important event in his life.He wrote about how he got diabetes.What strucked me is how he just explained everything in so factual way without dwelling in how he perceived it emotionally.It was even worse for me...
I on the other hand am completely heartbroken but I hide it to myself.Been reading like crazy, I think there is no unopened page on internet that has to do with T1D. Im just so sad and devastated that this has happened to him that I can't seem to find hope in anything.All the talk about how hard T1D is to manage and all about complications is killing me inside. I guess I just need some comfort and support from people who understand.
will it get better, how to truly accept this and try to eliminate the fear and dread of the future? It would mean a lot if you have anything positive to say or at least some advice how to move forward and not let this take all the life's joy.
thank you
Natasha

Hi Natasha I am also new to this forum. My story is quite similar to yours ... My 11yo son was diagnosed 2 months ago now, out of the blue, such a shock. I was (am) grief stricken and so worried about him getting depressed etc. Two months on he is very happy and healthy and coping so well, although I know it is a long road ahead for him. : (

I am feeling a lot better myself, although still very up and down, emotional, stressed, anxious, a bit low-level depressed probably. And so tired! And like you say still pretty much trying to read the entire internet and every book, watch every YouTube video ... When I really need to cheer myself up I read the latest on islet cell transfers, stem cell research, etc. : )

I got my son the Libre flash monitor 3 weeks ago and that has helped a lot as he hated doing so many fingerpricks. Next week he starts on an insulin pump and after that on a CGM. I am a big fan of medical technology and how it can make our lives easier and safer. Once all that is in place it will be 3 mos since diagnosis and that is a deadline I have set for myself to really just get life back to a "new normal" and not focus on diabetes so much all the time.

It is a big job to do, on top of everything else, and so hard when we love our kids so much and just want to protect them from everything. I honestly wish I could have this condition in his place. I hope things are going ok for you guys. xxxx