Corned beef

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all just checking out here to see what the verdict is on Corned Beef?

Having some issues tracking my dad's highs in the evening this week They eat around 5.30 but then about 8.30 he starts climbing and by now which is 10pm he's gone from 11 to 22. The only consistent item he's had is a corn beef with a slice of cheese sandwich at 5.30 the around 8.30 he has a cupping of Twinings Sleep Tea.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions please.

Many thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a look at the pack to see how many carbs are in the corned bees.

However, if he's having his corned beef with a sandwich, I'd expect it's the bread rather than the corned beef.
Does your father count carbs and adjust his doses depending on how many carbs he eats?

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's zero carbs and just noticed it's the Princes Reduced Salt that they have. Bread wise they have the Hovis 50/50.

He's not carb counting and at the moment been given a set dosage and just trying to work out foods are doing what. He was originally on the Dafne until he had a bad hypo and since then been restricted to set units per meal

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah just realized the bread they have is around 17g carbs per slice so guessing that's bad and we need to find a better bread.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - corned beef is usually reasonably low in carb. If I remember correctly it's around 2g of carb per standard 350g tin. So I think the more likely suspect would be the bread in the sandwich. However I'd expect that to be showing as a rise long before 8.30.

The "sleep tea" - Twining's website says less than 0.5g in 200ml, so unlikely to be that. Does he have milk in it? Sugar? anything with it?

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
morning all,
I think I’ve seen a granola recipe on here but can’t find it again ,anyone any idea please , I fancy a change .
thanks for any help,

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Corned beef should be labelled as a superfood for T2 diabetics.
Not only low carb but the really good fats as well!

The British army was fed for many years on bully beef.
Probably still does in its field rations.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Hovis50 nibble if I ever fancy a sandwich and it‘s only 8g carbs per slice so might be worth having a try of that?

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah not sure what it is. Looking back at his history in libreview it seems some nights when he's take 8 or 10 because he's been high, he's stayed pretty level.

Last night he took 7 which is what he was advised to take but he was around 9 at at 6pm when he ate and took insulin. Then climbed to 12 at 8pm, 20 and 8.30pm and peaked at 25.2 at 10pm.

The only thing that happened between 6pm and 8.30pm was his sleep tea at 8.30pm

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Hovis50 nibble if I ever fancy a sandwich and it‘s only 8g carbs per slice so might be worth having a try of that?
Diabetic nurse doesn't seem to think the bread is an issue and like to find a way for him to stop spiking into the 20s

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it possible that he is missing out a long acting injection?

stuarta99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah dunno, all bit odd. Rest of the day he seems to be fine, just trying to sort this meal

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could ask the DSN if a split dose of the long acting insulin would help.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at the pack to see how many carbs are in the corned bees.

However, if he's having his corned beef with a sandwich, I'd expect it's the bread rather than the corned beef.
Does your father count carbs and adjust his doses depending on how many carbs he eats?
I've never tasted 'corned bees' I wonder if they are high carb :D
;)

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks good to me

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg