Type 2 Cortisol and Stress /Anger

Belleek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wearing a CGM and when I am stressed/ angry in my work environment my Glucose elevates.
This is a frequent occurrence.
Is there any medication to control Cortisol which I understand becomes elevated in response to stress which in turn elevates glucose

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I am wearing a CGM and when I am stressed/ angry in my work environment my Glucose elevates.
Is there any medication to control Cortisol which I understand becomes elevated in response to stress which in turn elevates glucose
Happens to me. Would love an answer to that one.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been looking at stress as one of the factors impacting my BG levels. My first instinct was to look at root causes of my stress and how I can manage these. Avoiding situations that trigger me and changing the way I think about those situations - deal with what's in my control, influence what I can, and accept what I can't change. Alongside this, I have also been focusing on my sleep (keeping consistent pattern, tracking my Fitbit sleep score), getting in regular exercise (brisk walking, now looking to introduce some resistance band exercises for resistance training), and exploring mindfulness alongside breathing exercises (just stopping to recognise I'm stressed, asking myself what triggered me and just taking a few slow breaths).

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was always stressed and anxious when I worked and it hasn’t changed now retired unfortunately. I used to go for a walk and mediate and now do it at home. It was strange at first but the more I did it the easier it became if just for 2 minutes. One easy one was concentrate on your breathing. As you’re breathing in say “In. In. In” then on the out breath…yes you’ve guessed it “out. Out. Out” it focuses your mind by saying the words. It does have a calming effect and do it as long as you like. Sending hugs

Reactions: Marikev

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, without knowing what those rises are, it is tricky to comment on your situation, but what I will say is that cortisol is an extremely important hormone, and, personally, I would not be keen to meddle with it, unless there was a screaming reason.

Again, personally, I do find stress to be a pain. It does elevate blood glucose, but I'd rather try to mitigate stressors than meddle with potentially life saving hormones.

Sally777

Simply taking longer over breathing out rather than breathing in is a guaranteed way of slowing your heartbeat rate and reducing the impact of stress. Less stress means less cortisol means lower blood sugar levels! Which would explain why swimming is better for diabetics than running…

Reactions: Jasmin2000

stfluffybrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to replace cortisol due to my Addison's disease which is supposed to not elevate anything but it cetainly does. I am now on semiglutide too but that seems to be unable to fight the hormone replacements.