Could anyone please provide documentation or proof that T1Ds are allowed to carry food & drink regardless or what rules businesses have?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By: Andrea

Question regarding businesses that say no outside food or drink allowed.

I brought my 8yr T1D to a local skating rink this weekend. You purchase your tickets at a window then they buzz you to go into the rink. After I purchased the tickets I was told I needed to return the juice & snacks I brought for my T1D daughter to my car or throw it away.

I tried to explain this if for my T1D daughter & for medical purposes to prevent lows. I was told I can purchase food drink inside. As a line is forming behind me & making me feel uncomfortable arguing with these people. I finally agreed to leave what brought for her behind. Fortunately she did not go low. If she had I would have took our skates off & ran out to my car with her…

I believe it is against the law for a business not allowing to carry juice & uppers on us & telling us we can purchase them inside the arena? Could anyone please provide documentation or proof that T1Ds are allowed to carry food & drink regardless or what rules businesses have?

• Agree
Reactions: filly

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your daughter’s health care team should be able to provide you with a letter stating the need for her to carry supplies of food and any other supplies to carry her diabetes meds.
Sometimes it helps to contact a venue in advance to inform of the need. Shouldn’t have to, but there is such anlack of knowledge in some of these places.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question regarding businesses that say no outside food or drink allowed.

I brought my 8yr T1D to a local skating rink this weekend. You purchase your tickets at a window then they buzz you to go into the rink. After I purchased the tickets I was told I needed to return the juice & snacks I brought for my T1D daughter to my car or throw it away.

I tried to explain this if for my T1D daughter & for medical purposes to prevent lows. I was told I can purchase food drink inside. As a line is forming behind me & making me feel uncomfortable arguing with these people. I finally agreed to leave what brought for her behind. Fortunately she did not go low. If she had I would have took our skates off & ran out to my car with her…

I believe it is against the law for a business not allowing to carry juice & uppers on us & telling us we can purchase them inside the arena? Could anyone please provide documentation or proof that T1Ds are allowed to carry food & drink regardless or what rules businesses have?

I don't think it is quite that simple.

To be honest, for clarity, I would put a call into the Diabetes UK Helpline when they reopen after the break. They will likely have far more robust information, and references. You do not have to be a member to use this service.

The contact details are here:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was once told I could not take a can of cola to a rugby game in case of a hypo. Like you, I was told I could buy it at the bar if needed. As I travelled by train, I had no car nearby to store it in and had to hand over the unopened bottle.
Thankfully, I also carry Dextrose so it was no major issue (just a waste of money).
As a frequent flyer, I never rely on liquids for hypo recovery and find something which is clearly not food to be the most accepted.

As for it being against the law to stop you taking food into a venue, I do not think this is the case. Many places have this rule to protect their business - as well as being a skating rink (or rugby stadium in my case), they are a food and drinks retailer. It’s just like a cafe asking you not to use their tables to eat your picnic you bought from home.
If you need. To carry specific items for medical reasons, i think it is fair to be required to carry proof that it is required (security and entry staff should not be expected to know all medical requirements).

Danmiluk

Any place not allowing and diabetic not have snacks or fluids for medical reasons are breaking the law under disability discrimination.
I have had a few conversations with business owners over the years and as soon as I mention that it changes their tune.