could I be allergic to Insulin.

jubbtravel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am type 2 diabetic, on insulin and tablets I have lantus long acting and novo rapid short acting, but when I do the injections I get a fast heart beat after which last for ages and is a bit scary, I also have addisons disease, underactive thyroid, asthma, arthritis and fybromyalgia, if I take more steroids (I already take steroids for the addisons), it stops the fast heartbeat, my brother is allergic to insulin but he gets great big red lumps., we both also get panic attacks if we take a lot of insulin. Has anyone come across this before.

Thanks

lesley

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Certainly people can be allergic to it and if your brother is then that would surely put you at greater risk?

There are a number of different types of insulin though that you could try have a look here; http://iddt.org/about/gm-vs-animal-insulin

Also the suspension that insulin comes in might cause your problems; Apidra is preferred by some as a short acting as it does not have a zinc suspension which some people have problems with.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

jubbtravel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dillinger

Thanks for the reply and info, I used to be on aprida and was ok with that but they had a problem with supplies so had to change to novo rapid . I have tried levimir too also humalog and seem to have a problem with them all. Perhaps I could try aprida again.

Regards

Jubbtravel

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, I am type 2 diabetic, on insulin and tablets I have lantus long acting and novo rapid short acting, but when I do the injections I get a fast heart beat after which last for ages and is a bit scary, I also have addisons disease, underactive thyroid, asthma, arthritis and fybromyalgia, if I take more steroids (I already take steroids for the addisons), it stops the fast heartbeat, my brother is allergic to insulin but he gets great big red lumps., we both also get panic attacks if we take a lot of insulin. Has anyone come across this before.

Thanks

lesley
Hi Lesley, have you tried using animal insulin? You might find you get a better reaction to that. I can not use the analogues either.
Nice to meet another Addison :)

jubbtravel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lesley, have you tried using animal insulin? You might find you get a better reaction to that. I can not use the analogues either.
Nice to meet another Addison :)
thanks for your reply, no I haven't tried those, but I am now getting fed up of this fast heart beat the only way to stop it is more steroids, and I am trying to get them down as more steroids as you know means more insulin, I am just going round in a circle, what do you take? is your addisons managed well? amd thanks again

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
thanks for your reply, no I haven't tried those, but I am now getting fed up of this fast heart beat the only way to stop it is more steroids, and I am trying to get them down as more steroids as you know means more insulin, I am just going round in a circle, what do you take? is your addisons managed well? amd thanks again

Hi,
very few problems with Addison's I used 5 mg pred and 5 HC in the morning and do just fine on that. Had a major crisis about 5 years ago and needed blue lights to hospital plus 500mg of HC apart from that been fine. I use bovine insulin with no problem.

It's not a good idea to take extra steroid to treat your problems with the insulin as this can lead to major bone problems and possibly Cushing's.