1. We're hosting an online Facebook Q&A with Dr Hilary Jones on Mon 27th October - do you have any questions about diabetes that you would like to ask him? Head over to our Facebook page to submit your questions

Could my experinces be of any use?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Unbeliever, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Well-Known Member

For almost four years I have been suffering from retinopathy and macular oedema. I have had cataracts and i have been legally blind but the condition is never static.

I have come to realise just how important a part the brain plays in "deciphering " what we see.

I am aware that my brain will complete the picture for me if bits are missing. It often gets it wronhg unfortunately with sometimes hilarious results. I have lost count of the number of fire hydrants I have addressed fondly as "pretty pussy" for example.

My eyes are not too bad just now but I know that this can't last. I have been trying to catch up wih some reading as this is often impossible. Tonight I read a sentence as follows " ... jumped up knocking his head against the side of the bed.. It rolled off across the floor and stopped at the feet of the constable" I was reading ,as ever, with the aid of a magnifying glass, I thought it must need to be de-misted. I did this and tried again. I saw the identical sentence. A third time - same result. I called my husband to see the amusing misprint but he saw it plainly as "hat" of course.

This is just a small example there are less amusing effects such as my throwing out a lot of perfectly good food because I totally confused my 11s and 12s and my insistence that there was a large structure in the middle of the road with lights but no vehicles {it was a lorry} when my husaband asked me to check the road. He doesn't do this now.
    I am still chuckling about the rolling head but wondered if anyone anywhere studies these things and if my experiences could be of any use. Just a thought.
  2. Tracey69

Tracey69 Active Member

HI
    I am suffering exactly the same as you, But i am a waiting an operation on left eye to have the Vitreous Jelly removed as i have had a concstant bleed in the Jelly. Got to see a cardiologist before i go through the op as i have been suffering with palpataions and heart racing, so once that is sorted i can go back on the op list, was supposed to be urgent but i'm giving up worrying. The weather also distorts the vision