Counselling and Diabetes?

Should there be specific counselling offered to people living with diabetes?

• yes

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Yeh there only tends to be offering for psychology department for type ones and nothing for type two
well....actually @Fayefaye1429 I started in group therapy 4 weeks ago -- we meet once a week and the group is made up of 3 T1's and 4 T2's
I was very fortunate to get in this group as I don't think there are many if any happening locally to where I live.
My dietician got me into the group.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My problems with being offered counselling, aimed at me as a person with diabetes, rather than a person, are as follows:

From what I see in my own life, with others on the forum, and the reading I have done, I disagree with most of what is typically presented to diabetics - diet advice (eat carbs), treatment of depression (eat tablets), heart health (eat statins), cholesterol (eat low fat). Regardless of whether my personal views are right or wrong, what are the odds that the counselling offered to me, would fit me?

There are strong arguments to be made that counselling works best when it addresses the person and how they are dealing with the situation, not the situation itself.

So, should counselling be offered to people who could benefit from it? Absolutely.
Should specific diabetes related counselling be offered? I'm deeply sceptical.

A holistic approach is often very beneficial, but do I want a counsellor advising me on diet, medication or exercise? They would have to have some pretty hefty qualifications, and a proven track record!
Hi

I can understand
well....actually @Fayefaye1429 I started in group therapy 4 weeks ago -- we meet once a week and the group is made up of 3 T1's and 4 T2's
I was very fortunate to get in this group as I don't think there are many if any happening locally to where I live.
My dietician got me into the group.

That is great for you and yor area himtoo. It just tends to be more limiting

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
to be fair i completely agree with you that the availability of counselling for Diabetics is way below where it should be.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rang the Diabetes UK careline about this issue as after more than 20 years I was having serious problems - no hypo awareness, very up and down levels and depression leading to insulin abuse in a bid to control when I had the hypos). The counsellor I was sent to by my GP had no clue about diabetes and kept telling me that this should be dealt with by the DSN or my consultant. Careline said that counselling specifically for diabetics is a postcode lottery and at the moment there are only 3 in the UK. I find that disgusting, and it is obviously sorely needed looking at the response here.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rang the Diabetes UK careline about this issue as after more than 20 years I was having serious problems - no hypo awareness, very up and down levels and depression leading to insulin abuse in a bid to control when I had the hypos). The counsellor I was sent to by my GP had no clue about diabetes and kept telling me that this should be dealt with by the DSN or my consultant. Careline said that counselling specifically for diabetics is a postcode lottery and at the moment there are only 3 in the UK. I find that disgusting, and it is obviously sorely needed looking at the response here.
Hi Sandy,

I am sorry to hear this. I only know of some select groups, psychology in some PCTs and private counselling. Where in the UK are you maybe I can direct you to something in your area? or someone else can?

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The response to this question just goes show how lacking the services are and the link between mental and physical health is sorely missed by the existing care provided.

Reactions: 4 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes UK have self set up groups across the country which could support you SandyDee, or you could check out the BACP (British association for counselling and psychology) they might have an idea or BPS (British psychological society) when I think about it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I voted no but maybe yes for people who have no family to talk to maybe.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I voted no but maybe yes for people who have no family to talk to maybe.
applause for a change of heart but it goes far deeper than family which is maybe why the healthcare community at large don't get it --
it almost becomes another entity ( although i keep it firmly in check and it does not rule me )

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Being informed and educated correctly with updates about my diabetic disease would be money much better spent in my opinion than counselling.
Luckily for me the education I need is here on this site.
Why exactly do people need counselling about diabetes .... genuine question from someone genuinely ignorant of what the answer may be.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Is it being suggested that everyone who is diagnosed with an illness needs counselling?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A neighbour has just had counselling today due to cancer.. Then steroids.. Then diabetes.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps its more the understanding of the effects psychologically the illness can have on a possible diabetics life from counselors, as well as other illnesses like parkinsons etc? Education can only go so far as the route problem is unresolved, in some, some can be fine with it like anything else but I guess its about options too

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A neighbour has just had counselling today due to cancer.. Then steroids.. Then diabetes.
WOW poor neighbour! counseling really is the route of how you feel, what it means to you and how that affects your life, so understanding is needed from the person counseling to provide a safe space to share. Lots of people who have illnesses can cope fine but some don't and I do feel passionately about people should have options

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Are people willing to pay for it?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whether people go privately or on the NHS we all pay in some way. If it is about educating professionals, some are open to it, some aren't like everything else in life. Personally I would and have done it for free (running courses on psychology of diabetes that is)

Jess33marsh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it is exactly being able to have the choice to have emotional support. It's great JTL that you don't feel the need for counselling. However, a vast majority of people at some time during their lifetime will choose to seek counselling. As you maybe aware there is a proven link between diabetes and depression. A chronic illness presents a different set of challenges for a person let alone the usual life stresses as well. I'm a private counsellor and people are willing to pay for it. I believe just like any other profession counsellors should be paid we pay a dentist or an opticians for glasses or a replacement tooth. If the NHS placed more value on mental and social care and finding a balance between a medical service then people would have more opportunity to make an informed choice. I have struggled with Type 1 for many years and the lifestyle is not always easy to follow 24/7 365 days of the year. The implications of this are very real.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are people willing to pay for it?

We paid £60 an hour for relationship counselling which was the best ever.. Fantastic counsellor.. So if I felt I needed it for diabetes-yes I definitely would-and if the counsellor themselves were diabetic.

However some counsellors have absolutely no idea on illness. How really could a non diabetic counsellor really empathise with someone struggling to do their 6 injections a day or wearing a pump or how a t2 could feel about nit getting strips and struggling with GPs and DSN's that don't believe in lchf etc. they won't really appreciate the feelings that can generate from our necessary routines.