Crackling / Pork scratchings

nadine68

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know on LCHF crackling is ok but what about packets of pork scratchings , are they ok ?
If so is there particular brands to go for or avoid ?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pork scratchings are ok, almost zero carbs. I've tried different brands, it's a matter of personal taste which one you might prefer.
These are my favourite:

mr porky.jpg

They have 0.2 gms of carbs per 100 gms. Cost 85p for a 70 gm pack in Tesco and £1 usually in Sainsburys.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always look at the ingredients list. If it has monosodium glutamate in it, I know it will give me a raging thirst and a blinding headache - so I avoid them. Other people don't have this problem. Sometimes theres gluten too.

So yes, I avoid most brands.

But i LOVE a good scratching. Anglesey Posh Pork Scratchings are my brand of choice. Pity about the price!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A while back I was reading about rollmops, yesterday someone had posted about Marmite and now pork scratchings. Diabetes has got a lot to answer for.:):):):):)

Reactions: Ultramum
D

Deleted member 308541

A while back I was reading about rollmops, yesterday someone had posted about Marmite and now pork scratchings. Diabetes has got a lot to answer for.:):):):):)
We buy a bottle of Rollmops every now and then, very nice with a beer.

Good pork crackling is a art form to make in its own right, mmmm! crispy crunchy... :hungry:

Edit: Clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're all CRAZYYYYYY...............................:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own too, based on this recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/23/homemade-pork-scratchings-picnic-family

The spices vary, depending on what I fancy, but in my world a couple of things make a difference. Firstly, ensure the uncooked rind is dry before cooking. I order to be sure of this, I bring the rind out of the fridge and leave it uncovered for about an hour, before cooking. I tend to put it in the empty, unseated grill, and close the door, rather than it sit on the worktop.

Secondly, if the rind is tough to cut into whatever shape you're going for, it's super easy to cut once warmed, so I take the single piece of rind out of the oven after 5-10 minutes, then it cuts like butter.

I actually use a cooling rack, sitting in a shallow tray to maximise heat circulation, but prevent the pieces falling between the slats of the baking tray as the crackling curls.

If you don't want to season your crackling pre-coking, immediately after cooking, you can put some seasoning in a poly bag, add the cooked crackling and shake to coat the pieces. Be careful though, as the crackling is very hot at that point.

Enjoy!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork scratchings are ok, almost zero carbs. I've tried different brands, it's a matter of personal taste which one you might prefer.
These are my favourite:

View attachment 20975

They have 0.2 gms of carbs per 100 gms. Cost 85p for a 70 gm pack in Tesco and £1 usually in Sainsburys.
Agree completely they are my new favourites.. have 10 packs waiting to be demolished at the moment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own too, based on this recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/23/homemade-pork-scratchings-picnic-family

The spices vary, depending on what I fancy, but in my world a couple of things make a difference. Firstly, ensure the uncooked rind is dry before cooking. I order to be sure of this, I bring the rind out of the fridge and leave it uncovered for about an hour, before cooking. I tend to put it in the empty, unseated grill, and close the door, rather than it sit on the worktop.

Secondly, if the rind is tough to cut into whatever shape you're going for, it's super easy to cut once warmed, so I take the single piece of rind out of the oven after 5-10 minutes, then it cuts like butter.

I actually use a cooling rack, sitting in a shallow tray to maximise heat circulation, but prevent the pieces falling between the slats of the baking tray as the crackling curls.

If you don't want to season your crackling pre-coking, immediately after cooking, you can put some seasoning in a poly bag, add the cooked crackling and shake to coat the pieces. Be careful though, as the crackling is very hot at that point.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the recipe.. looks great next time hubby makes Chinese roast pork will pinch the skin before he starts.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the recipe.. looks great next time hubby makes Chinese roast pork will pinch the skin before he starts.

Next time ht ehubby makes Chinese roast pork .... don't forgot to invite me :):)

warop31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm definitely a fan, but I do worry about the (un)healthiness of them. Perfect in terms of a tasty virtually zero carb snack though, so the benefits outweigh the negatives for me, although I'm not sure 3 packets a day is the way forward!?

The Anglesey one's are probably the best, but also most expensive, and they are bigger packs which just encourages me to eat even more. So my choice now, better than Mr Porky for me, is Cracking Pork Crackling by The Real Pork Crackling Co., available in multipacks of 6 from Sainsburys for sure, just 20gm packets.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to think the folks who loved and recommended pork scratchings were barmy. They are an acquired taste, and I went from being disgusted by them to craving them. The crunch then the squishy fat, yum! Current favourite is mustard flavour Mr Trotter. Get them from the deli.. Don't check how much, just buy in bulk. Almost as good as home made from pork skin. Salt and black pepper, or garlic, or onion salt, to season.

Reactions: Ultramum

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took the fat off the. roast lamb shoulder at the weekend and shoved it in a hot oven until crisp .I had to fight husband for some
CAROL

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Preheat the baking sheet in the oven, and put the rind on fat side down initially, very important!
I never use a rack, but do turn into a bowl with a few sheets of kitchen towel in to soak up the fat when they've finished cooking.
You can also pour the fat off the sheet halfway through, but normally baking sheets are so twisted the fat runs to one corner anyway.

You can use any rind, even stuff that's been in the crock pot all day.
It'll still be worth eating, even then, with a bit of black pepper and sea salt.

Shrike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been experimenting with home made scratchings recently as I find the commercial ones too salty. I get the pork skin from Morrisons. Seems to work best so far by leaving the skin, uncovered, in the fridge for a day to really dry it out. I then chop it up and put it in my air fryer for 25mins. Dusting with smoked paprika or chinese 5 spice after makes a nice change.
I like the tip above for warming the skin before slicing!