Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I use gas and I baked them for an hour on S (lowest setting).

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No bitter aftertaste from the ones i have made.

Just lobbed 2 batches in the dehydrator:

Parmesan and marmite with a hint of salt
And
Curry paste and oil

Tomorrow (when i have washed the trays) will be a first attempt at choc and cinnamon.

:D:D:D
Parmesan and marmite sounds amazing! Did you use oil too to make it into a more liquidy paste to coat the kale?
Sure you could use courgettes sliced thinly (really must find an excuse to use that mandolin I bought for no good reason!). Used to make beetroot crisps but assume they are too carby now.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria. I haven't had any veg for days due to being away with work on a semi camping long weekend holiday so maybe I'll be okay with a mini overdose of kale. I'm looking forward to experimenting more tomorrow then I'll run out of kale and will have to start trying it with the ruby chard in the garden.. :)

I've got raw baby spinach as a side salad for my dinner... and broccoli and tomatoes as part of the main dish. I think I'm catching up with my veg deficit.
Is chard easy to grow @Chook ? I'm starting to plan my veggie patch for this year. Had terrible trouble with Cabbage White butterflies last year! Maybe I should start a gardening thread...:rolleyes:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Parmesan and marmite sounds amazing! Did you use oil too to make it into a more liquidy paste to coat the kale?
Sure you could use courgettes sliced thinly (really must find an excuse to use that mandolin I bought for no good reason!). Used to make beetroot crisps but assume they are too carby now.

Yes to the oil query. I mixed the oil, parmesan and marmite together til it was gooey enough to stick to the leaves, but not to clump.

Please taste your flavour mix before adding the kale. It would be tragic if it failed because of a flavour tweak.

And, just for you @Mongolia, this fab link is one that @AndBreathe found a while back. AWESOME.
Everyone should click it!
http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes...utm_term=22+of+The+BEST+LOW+CARB+Chip+Recipes

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Is chard easy to grow @Chook ? I'm starting to plan my veggie patch for this year. Had terrible trouble with Cabbage White butterflies last year! Maybe I should start a gardening thread...:rolleyes:
Yes, it's very easy to grow - easier than spinach. I usually grow the rainbow variety but last year grew the rhubarb/ruby variety and the winter has been so mild that it's still going strong.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brun, that is indeed a good link. Loving the mushroom crisps particularly - never thought of that before and often have mushrooms hanging around that I never get round to using. Tomatoes and almond butter cabbage also look interesting!

Henwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We grow our own so no supply problem and we have done our own vegetable crisps for ages. Super to read all the different flavours/spices etc. Food for thought literally. Thanks everyone. Will try the oven too as the dehydrator does take a while. Cucumber crisps are good too.