Criteria

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are living in England, the criteria are defined by NICE.
This paper says:
Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion or ‘insulin pump’ therapy is recommended as a possible treatment for adults and children 12 years and over with type 1 diabetes mellitus if:
- attempts to reach target haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels with multiple daily injections result in the person having ‘disabling hypoglycaemia’,
or
- HbA1c levels have remained high (8.5% or above) with multiple daily injections (including using long-acting insulin analogues if appropriate) despite the person and/or their carer carefully trying to manage their diabetes.

My advice would be to talk to your diabetes team (e.g. DSN) as they can "adapt" these guidelines.

Reactions: DiabeticDi

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @DiabeticDi

Yes it does very much depend on what your local hospital's criteria is - personally I got mine based on the fact that my t1d was affecting my quality of life, as I was putting alot of work into keeping my levels in range, my DSN put me forward for funding based on this. It really does help to have a good relationship with your DSN to enable you to work with them and have a strong case, also be prepared for set backs too, my first approach for funding was declined but we persevered and second time round I got approval. If you struggling with DP then a pump would help with adjusting ratios over this timeframe to manage it.

Good luck.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you so much! I would never consider a pump at all but now I think it would definitely benefit me. Because of poor vision I find it so hard to. Inject out of the house and also the dp is constant. I will ask my dsn, got to be worth a try!

Sent from my SM-A346B using Diabetes Forum mobile app