CRP test.. Does anyone know if diabetes affects results?

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a high reading on. CRP test..(21.....should be less than 5)

Since the doctor doesn't seem to know, I wondered if anyone else has had this test and been told if type 2 diabetes (my hblc 5.3) affects the readings on it.

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi mousemat!

It is possibly a sign of pancreatitis. Your crp levels rise with either severe inflammation or an infection. If it was the High Reactive crp test then it is a check for potential heart disease. The only way it can be connected to Type 2 Diabetes is if you have pancreatitis. This then raises the levels of a inflammatory protein in your blood. Are you struggling with Infections? Do continue posting any concerns you have. Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks.

Rest of tests results fine. Liver fine, good levels of LDL.
Just the normal winter colds.

I've looked up pancreatic problems but I don't seem to have any of the symptoms.

But I will keep the symptoms in mind and take action if I get any.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apparently there is a list of associated illnesses

.. And diabetes is on it...

What diseases are associated with inflammation?

Several human diseases are inflammatory in nature, including asthma, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, tendonitis, bursitis, laryngitis, gingivitis, gastritis, otitis, celiac disease (gluten intolerance), diverticulitis (infection of the diverticula in the colon), and inflammatory bowel disease. Additionally, a number of chronic diseases have inflammatory components, such as atherosclerosis, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and perhaps even Alzheimer's disease. The causes of several of these diseases are unknown, and the role of inflammation in disease pathogenesis is under investigation. For instance, it is known that adipose tissue secretes several inflammatory factors (adipocytokines) and that obesity is associated with macrophage infiltration in adipose tissue; however, the exact role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of obesity is currently unknown.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

maxell

I'd get myself tested ANA (antinuclear antibodies) for autoimmune diseases associated with connective tissues. CRP that high can be due to other reasons but being actively autoimmune often brings that level high. Check your WBCs and see if they're low or low-normal. Most diabetics do have at least 1 or 2 autoimmune issues (usually psoriasis and clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism).

L

Luna21

I have Psoriatic arthritis, which is similar in many ways to Rheumatoid arthritis so, due to the medications I have to take to keep the worst of the symptoms under control, I have to get blood tests done every month and one of those is the CRP test. Since being diagnosed as diabetic Type 2, I haven't noticed any difference in my CRP levels at all.

Perhaps there is something else going on in your body which is causing the higher inflammation markers. Although yours are higher than the norm, they are not horrifically high. Try having them in the high 150's! :***:

Some people can have a marginally higher CRP which is normal for them though outwith the guidelines, and your doc should perhaps be doing other tests or a repeat CRP one, as even a cold can make it rise a bit.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks .. Thats helpful.

I am hypothyroid.. 125mg a day, so I suppose that would account for at least part of the reading.

The doctor didn't give that as a reason -even after three tests to see if the level was coming down( thats's what alarmed me).

I had no idea if this level was something that I should be doing something about or not.

So thanks again for your explanations. Doctors.. bah!