Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
This week is Cupcake Week and as you will well know, cupcakes tend to be one of those treats that we all think we have to totally cut out because of the high sugar and carbohydrate levels.

If you're prepared to substitute a few ingredients here and there for ones that won't make your BG levels spike quite as dramatically, you can still enjoy some fabulous cupcakes and sweet treats. Feel free to share any cupcake recipes you have in this thread :thumbup:

Unbeliever

I really wish I could eat a cupcake but any kind of cake really splkes my bg levels. Why are ey ok? most seem to contain a lot of sugar .

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well, speaking for myself, as a D&E T2, rather than as a T1 who can compensate for the carbs or a non diabetic,I could perhaps eat a small "Yummy Currant Bun" or Cupcake (WITH NO ICING! )
However the resulting rise in carb intake and BG spike would a waste of my hard fought control. However a fine, carb aware, cook such as Whitby Jet will no doubt be able to craft some low carb treats for us mere T2s
So for the good of my health I decline these cupcakes/buns

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
these are unbelievable

Coconut Flour Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Cakes: 3 eggs 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified 1/2 cup coconut milk, room temperature 1/2 tsp vanilla 8-12 drops stevia extract 1/4 cup coconut flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt Optional: 2tbsp erythritol for added sweetness Chocolate Buttercream: 1/3 cup whipping cream 2 oz cream cheese, softened 2 tbsp butter, softened 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 6-10 drops stevia extract OR liquid sucralose equal to 3 tbsp sugar 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted Shredded, unsweetened coconut for garnishing For the cakes: Preheat oven to 350F and line 6 muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla and stevia. In a smaller bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking powder, salt and erythritol, if using. Stir dry ingredients into wet and mix well. If batter seems too thick, add a bit more coconut milk until it resembles cake/pancake batter. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops of cupcakes spring back when touched lightly and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan. For the buttercream: Whip cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Beat in cocoa powder and stevia or other artificial sweetener. Carefully fold in whipped cream and stir until combined. It may look slightly lumpy at this point. Pour melted chocolate into bowl and mix with a rubber spatula until chocolate is combined and mixture is smooth. Pipe or spread buttercream on cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Serves 6. Each cupcake has 6.3 total carbs (not counting erythritol, if you use it), and 3.3g of fiber. Each serving of buttercream has 2.8g of carbs.

i used powders stevia instead of extract because i didnt have any

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Netty70

Andy12345 said:
these are unbelievable

Coconut Flour Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Cakes: 3 eggs 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified 1/2 cup coconut milk, room temperature 1/2 tsp vanilla 8-12 drops stevia extract 1/4 cup coconut flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp salt Optional: 2tbsp erythritol for added sweetness Chocolate Buttercream: 1/3 cup whipping cream 2 oz cream cheese, softened 2 tbsp butter, softened 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 6-10 drops stevia extract OR liquid sucralose equal to 3 tbsp sugar 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted Shredded, unsweetened coconut for garnishing For the cakes: Preheat oven to 350F and line 6 muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla and stevia. In a smaller bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking powder, salt and erythritol, if using. Stir dry ingredients into wet and mix well. If batter seems too thick, add a bit more coconut milk until it resembles cake/pancake batter. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops of cupcakes spring back when touched lightly and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan. For the buttercream: Whip cream with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Beat in cocoa powder and stevia or other artificial sweetener. Carefully fold in whipped cream and stir until combined. It may look slightly lumpy at this point. Pour melted chocolate into bowl and mix with a rubber spatula until chocolate is combined and mixture is smooth. Pipe or spread buttercream on cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Serves 6. Each cupcake has 6.3 total carbs (not counting erythritol, if you use it), and 3.3g of fiber. Each serving of buttercream has 2.8g of carbs.

i used powders stevia instead of extract because i didnt have any

Let me know what time there ready, am round lol

WhitbyJet

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
50g ground flaxseed
200g almond flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
10 teaspoons Splenda
4 tablespoons cocoa powder (sifted)
5 eggs
1/3 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup water

*Combine all of the dry ingredients in one bowl
*Melt the butter
*In another bowl whisk the melted butter and eggs
*Add the water and whisk again
*Add in the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth
*Pour into cupcake tin (the silicone ones come in really handy here!) and bake at 170c for 50 minutes

**NOTE**
Although the recipe says to bake for 50 minutes, I think this may be a misprint as after 15 minutes mine were cooked through.
I do have a fan assisted oven, though so that may account for it.

MOCHA CREAM FROSTING:
1 cup heavy cream (I used whipping cream as I've no clue what heavy cream is!)
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules - crushed (I used a mini blender to blitz it to a really fine powder)
1/3 cup Splenda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa - sifted

*Add the coffee to the cream and mix well
*Add the Splenda and whisk until the mixture just starts to thicken
*Slowly blend in the cocoa, but don't over whisk the mixture
*This can be used fresh and also can be frozen

Attachments

• Cupcakes2.png
    Cupcakes2.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 3,417

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lemon and lavender cupcakes, not low carb but not everything in life is!

75mls milk
6 lavender flower heads + extra for decoration
140g unsalted butter
140g caster sugar
grated zest of small lemon
2 large eggs beaten
140g self raising flower
140g icing sugar
couple of drops of violet food colouring

Put the milk in a small pan, add 6 lavender flower heads and bring gently to a simmer or heat in a bowl in the microwave. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 30 minutes, then strain and discard the lavender.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with paper cases. Beat the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest together until soft and creamy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and then fold in the flour. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the lavender milk to soften the mixture.

Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before lifting out carefully and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.

Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough of the remaining lavender milk to make a smooth icing. Tint with 1 or 2 drops of violet or mauve food colouring.

Spoon or spread the icing over the cupcakes and decorate with small sprigs of lavender flowers.

WhitbyJet

HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES

3 eggs

75 g ground almonds

75 g ground walnuts

sweetener to taste

200g grated pumpkin flesh

1/4 cup canola oil

1 cup sour cream

1.5 tsp baking powder

1.5 tbsp psyllium husks, ground

1 teaspoon cinnamon

a few pinches of cardamom

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)

Frosting:

150 g cream cheese

35 g butter - room temperature

Sweetener to taste

lemon juice

some grated orange peel

approx. 200 g dark chocolate
(at least 70%)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together all the wet in another bowl and add grated pumpkin flesh.
Mix together the wet and the dry ingredients. Taste the batter, you may wish to add more sweetener or spices.
Fill batter into muffin cases and bake for 40-45 minutes at 175 degrees. There is a lot of moisture in the muffins, so it is important that they bake for long enough.
If you use smaller muffin cases you can reduce the cooking time slightly .
Frosting:
Whisk together the softened butter and cream cheese. Add sweetener, a little lemon juice and a little grated orange peel.
Be careful with orange peel, it can become bitter if you use too much. You may want to use a bit of orange juice from the orange too. An alternative is to flavour with grated lime zest and juice of lime .

You can add yellow or green food colouring or leave it white. Place frosting on top of cooled cup cakes.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler . Let it cool slightly so that the chocolate thickens a bit. Put the chocolate in a small spray bottle, or place in a greaseproof bag/make a kind of envelope from greaseproof paper, snip off a small corner, and paint cobwebs and spiders onto a sheet of greaseproof paper
Put in the fridge / freezer until the chocolate has set , loosen chocolate drawings carefully from the baking paper and place on top of the icing.

Or you could make up a chocolate frosting and decorate with white icing/chocolate, its fun playing around with this.

Have a look at the photos:http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/gresskarmuffins-til-halloween.html

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
xAoifex said:
Lemon and lavender cupcakes, not low carb but not everything in life is!

75mls milk
6 lavender flower heads + extra for decoration
140g unsalted butter
140g caster sugar
grated zest of small lemon
2 large eggs beaten
140g self raising flower
140g icing sugar
couple of drops of violet food colouring

Put the milk in a small pan, add 6 lavender flower heads and bring gently to a simmer or heat in a bowl in the microwave. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 30 minutes, then strain and discard the lavender.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with paper cases. Beat the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest together until soft and creamy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and then fold in the flour. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the lavender milk to soften the mixture.

Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before lifting out carefully and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.

Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough of the remaining lavender milk to make a smooth icing. Tint with 1 or 2 drops of violet or mauve food colouring.

Spoon or spread the icing over the cupcakes and decorate with small sprigs of lavender flowers.

I made these I think you need more lavender cos it doesn't really taste of it, more lemony than anything!

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when I made them I had really big lavender flower heads care of my mothers lavender bush, I guess size really does matter!