Curious question

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if a diabetic t2 comes down to a none diabetic sugar level range do they have the same chance of complications as a non diabetic.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am hoping so - but as type twos are not monitored all that closely there isn't all that much data out there.
I do try to keep my blood glucose levels to around 7 at the most. I do overshoot now that the weather is so hot, so will have to take that into consideration from now on. I do hope to have a considerable number of Summers to go through adapting for the temperature and discovering more about my situation.
Logically, having a normal a blood glucose range and confirming that with regular Hba1c tests would be the safest thing to do - and resisting any temptation to hike up levels even for former favourite 'treats' on special occasions would be a wise precaution - in order to enjoy as many special occasions as possible.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Id guess they are NOT at risk of complications as Diabetic complications stem from Blood sugar increase. From what I understand as the sugar increase decreases oxygen and other components that are critical to blood. Imagine having blood like water then 10% of that being honey thats the same thing you are doing to your body.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if a diabetic t2 comes down to a none diabetic sugar level range do they have the same chance of complications as a non diabetic.

I used to think this. Then I found out a bit more about insulin resistance, and discovered that we can have insulin resistance while maintaining normal blood glucose. This raises insulin levels which has its own health implications.

These videos by Ivor Cummings explain it excellently. :)

I now view lowering insulin resistance (by low carb, fasting and exercise) as at least as high a priority as controlling my blood glucose.