curious

s1a2m3

hi all,
i just got diagnosed with diabetes type 1 last week.. still tryin 2 cope with it..i was admitted in hospital 4 three days with bg over 25 n ketaacidosis.......
but since some days my bg is gettin normal.below 1o n most of the times below 6. i m takin 10 units of humalog 3 times b4 meals and 30 units of lantus at bedtime .. is there any chance my body is producing insulin????????????? or my doses are gona go lower like 1-2 times a day????
help :x :?:

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
if you are recently diagnosed, then there is a chance that your body is still producing some insulin... but that wont last long (weeks, months, rare cases - years) and it wont be much.

It's what we call the honeymoon period, when it comes to an end you will notice that you're insulin doses will increase and sometimes things can get messy for a while untill you get the hang of doing it all yourself without any help from your body.

But you've signed up to this site now... so there's plenty of info and support when you need it... no question is a silly question!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi s1a2m3,

Yes, if you're newly diagnosed there's a very good chance you're still making some insulin. It's often referred to as the 'honeymoon period'. It was once thought of as the swansong of the dying beta cells, but there is evidence that this honeymoon can be extended, perhaps indefinately, if blood sugar levels can be maintained at a normal level.

All the best,

fergus

Orchid

Hi s1a2m3

My daughter was diagnosed in April 2008, I think we caught her quite early, probably because we already had it in the family, and we picked up on "the signs" almost too early! At first she was diagnosed with small amounts of insulin, then her body seemed to have a little spurt of its own insulin, so much so that she was able to come off insulin for a short period, but eventually she had to go back on. She is still on fairly low doses now, so likley she is still producing a little of her own.

Take Care
Orchid

I