Curry Powder

dvd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me if there are any carbs in curry powder ..would like to make my own for flavouring as i dont want to buy a jar of ready made curry sauce ..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Depends on the curry powder and what you use to make it. Typically making your own won't have a lot, and the amounts you use it in will result in it having little impact on your overall meal carbs.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a 4-storey rack of spices on the back of the food cupboard door and you can hear them whispering and rattling away ....
Mixing your own spices and herbs is brill. Do you have a corner shop where you can by small amounts not too pricey?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have Schwartz Mild curry powder in the kitchen cupboard, but no nutritional information on the container.

Chicken curry:-

1 tbsp oil
I onion
2 gloves of garlic
I red or green chilli ( optional)
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp of tomato paste
200 ml of vegetable stock
200 ml of coconut cream or milk
350g of chicken or prawns

RRB

denis43

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Curry sauce at Asian Supermarket contains 15 calories per 16 g serving. This serving contains 1.3 g of fat, 0.2 g of protein and 0.8 g of carbohydrate. The latter is 0.6 g sugar and 0.2 g of dietary fiber, the rest is complex carbohydrate. Curry sauce contains 0.4 g of saturated fat and 0.2 mg of cholesterol per serving.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to use individual spices. I am not sure whether this counts as making my own curry powder because I add things like coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli for each dish rather than a spoon out of a single pot. Whilst some of these spices contain carbs, as I am only eating a teaspoonful, I don't think the total is considerable.

• Agree
Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do very much the same as @In Response, for various individual small amounts of seasonings and flavours.

When I first started low carbing, rather than try to work out an actual figure for each potentially tiny amount of carbs, I used to add an extra 5g "allowance" to my daily calculations to cover any such extras. Now I don't actually worry as I don't believe we can ever be 100% accurate.

Reactions: In Response