CURRY!

aprilsnail

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
My mum is a newly diagnosed T1 diabetic.
We are working things out..

If she has a chicken curry for tea would she need to take the injection still?

She is currently on a 12ml a day and four 4ml injections a day. We know that if she doesn't have a sugar in a coffee on a morning & breakfast she doesn't have to take one of the 4ml injections.

She has an appointment next Thursday but we are finding more and more questions each and every day!

Any help is much appreciated.

April

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends - as usual.
If it is a home made chicken curry served with cauliflower instead of rice then it could have a very low impact on insulin needs as it is low carb - but if it is served with a lot of rice, in a sauce made with sugar and thickened with starch it could be a big hitter

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Doing a low carb cauliflower rice curry can bring its own complications. Absent any significant levels of carbs, there's a fair chance that gluconeogenesis will kick into play and turn the chicken protein into glucose which will affect bg in an unpredictable way long after the event which could be deeply puzzling for a newly dx'd like the op's mum.

There's plenty of posts from T1s on this site who need to bolus for omelettes.

That's one of the reasons why I think newly dx'd interests are best served by maintaining fairly normal eating patterns to begin with and making adjustments once they know how things play out for them.

Some people are fine with a modest amount of white rice, others not. I know that white rice is crazy with me but brown rice especially with lots if chillis and ginger, counterintuitively, actually makes my sugars remarkably stable for an extended period. But for the next guy, it might be as bad as white. Trial and error.