Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi,

My gliclazide pill is 80mg (tiny). I have been taking it with Metformin (850mg 3x per- day ) the last one
before going to sleep -and other drugs for 5 years.

The bottle says take one gliclazide per day, but I think that is not as good as halving it -- one half for
lunch and one half before supper. That way I avoid hypoglycemia-- 3.8 and lower, , which in my experience is
the worst complication making me very sick in comparison to hyperglycemia rarely of say 11 at most.
My average numbers have been very good (6-7) and my doctors is
very pleased. I have not looked up the half-life of gliclazide in case that makes any difference.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Half life 10.4 hrs,duration 10-24 hours
http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01120
You think Gliclazide 80mg is small, I used to half Gliclazide 40mg tabs.
I found 1/2 x40s gave me a smaller peak.
40 mg does exist, called Zircron if you want to ask GP to give you that!
zicron.jpg

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi,

My gliclazide pill is 80mg (tiny). I have been taking it with Metformin (850mg 3x per- day ) the last one

The bottle says take one gliclazide per day, but I think that is not as good as halving it -- one half for
lunch and one half before supper. That way I avoid hypoglycemia-- 3.8 and lower, , which in my experience is
the worst complication making me very sick in comparison to hyperglycemia rarely of say 11 at most.
very pleased. I have not looked up the half-life of gliclazide in case that makes any difference.
Perhaps have a word with your GP to see if the tablet comes in 40mg tablets, this would solve the problem. If not then you can get a pill cutter which will do the job for you.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Half life 10.4 hrs,duration 10-24 hours
http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01120
You think Gliclazide 80mg is small, I used to half Gliclazide 40mg tabs.
I found 1/2 x40s gave me a smaller peak.
40 mg does exist, called Zircron if you want to ask GP to give you that!
View attachment 10832

Fergus, thank you very much for the information about the gliclazide dose. It is possible
that my diabetic team is practicing "tight control". I will suggest the Zircron as 40mg giclicizide
does not exist now anyway. And thank you for the url. For the time being I may have done
the clever thing to cut the gliclizide in half over a period of 6-8 hrs. I bet you would like to
know what other drugs I take -- 35 years of pharmaceutical
experimentation. I'm ***** ing indestructible. I am sorry I messed up the
reply to you. Catherinecherub helped me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

They are good results, but quite high swings up and down.
The down of 3.8 suggests you're doing well, is it possible to make a few diet changes, and see if you could be ok on metformin alone?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They are good results, but quite high swings up and down.
The down of 3.8 suggests you're doing well, is it possible to make a few diet changes, and see if you could be ok on metformin alone?

Thanks Douglas,

I think it is impossible to go on Metformin alone. When first diagnosed the diabetic team
tried all kinds of options, even no diabetic drugs at all and only exercise and diet. From 30
all they could get was 17 with Metformin. So, they had to put me on gliclazide. It may be
a bit spikey, and as I told Fergus I will mention the Zircron. But I am doing ok with the present
treatment. You are right about the diet -- I am not being as careful as I should be for another
medical reason which the doctors know. Cutting the g in half over a day has been better
for me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Douglas,

I think it is impossible to go on Metformin alone. When first diagnosed the diabetic team
tried all kinds of options, even no diabetic drugs at all and only exercise and diet. From 30
all they could get was 17 with Metformin. So, they had to put me on gliclazide. It may be
a bit spikey, and as I told Fergus I will mention the Zircron. But I am doing ok with the present
treatment. You are right about the diet -- I am not being as careful as I should be for another
medical reason which the doctors know. Cutting the g in half over a day has been better
for me.

I actually got a cutter from my doctor, attached to the dispensing chemists.
It's brilliant, cuts perfectly, and saves the other half for the next time.
it was free as well.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I actually got a cutter from my doctor, attached to the dispensing chemists.
It's brilliant, cuts perfectly, and saves the other half for the next time.
it was free as well.

Great -- I like sharp ones -- you have to get a good one so as to make an even cut.

Best wishes to you douglas99.