DAFNE Bolus Reductions

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I follow the dafne rules for carb counting and exercise, but I find that sometimes my pre/post exercise reductions can be hit and miss.

I’d love to get an idea of what everyone counts as low/medium/high impact exercise as I’m not sure that I’m classifying it correctly (often ending up in hypos).

E.g. I would have thought that walking would count as low impact, but often the low impact reduction is too much for me.

I feel like weights are medium effort, so long as it’s high weights/low reps (sometimes I even need to take a unit of insulin before working out to avoid spikes)

I think that HIIT and running count as high impact for me so need a larger reduction.

Additionally, how do you handle exercise that lasts for more than one hour. I often go on long walks (2-3hours) and find that I need to top up sugar regularly during this.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I try not to exercise within two hours of injecting short-acting insulin. If I follow this rule I can do most things and don't need sugar. Sometimes I do reduce my CHO ratio for night training and run my BS a little higher than usual. For something longer, like a four-hour run, I'd definitely try it on long-acting insulin in the morning.

Last edited: