Daily testing v HBa1c

Vickyc2804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
So when I check my bloods daily, my results never change from between 4-6 on average. I’ve stopped taking Metformin as it was so unpleasant.
Are there other other ways to monitor my levels or can you assume that if you don’t ever spike over 6 then your HBA1c will remain low.
For info- my HBAIC was 68 on diagnosis, 4 month later down to 41.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
can you assume that if you don’t ever spike over 6 then your HBA1c will remain low.
Yes, you can assume this.

But it depends on when you test. If you only test fasting BG, you may miss a lot of high numbers throughout the day.

Well done on getting your hba1c from 68 to 41 in only 4 months!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have already tested the BG reaction I get from my meals many tens of times, we often eat the exact same meal every week or 2. So, if I need reassurance I merely test my BG at the 2hrs post prandial stage since my BG is unlikely to be higher than that at any time (unless ill or injured).

Vickyc2804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you can assume this.

But it depends on when you test. If you only test fasting BG, you may miss a lot of high numbers throughout the day.

Well done on getting your hba1c from 68 to 41 in only 4 months!
Thank you! I do test pre and 2 hour post meal. I’ve made the decision to stop taking metformin, I feel it’s doing me more harm than good. I’m going to take Berberin as a supplement instead which is proved to support anyone with T2 diabetes

Reactions: Antje77

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Libre CGM can give you an estimated A1C based on it monitoring your BG 24/7. Not sure how accurate the estimation is though as I don't wear one continuously. Also, though there is a correlation, ones BG number and A1C number aren't a numerical match. I keep this attached photo on my phone to give me some context with the BG numbers as they use different measurement in the US (mg/dl) compared to the UK (mmol/l). It also gives some context between mmol/l and an HbA1C

Attachments

• BG.jpg
    BG.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 55

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre CGM can give you an estimated A1C based on it monitoring your BG 24/7. Not sure how accurate the estimation is though as I don't wear one continuously.
Libre HBA1C is NOT very accurate.
It is so far out that I just think of it as another thing worth tracking. If the Libre's Estimated HBA1C is going down, a real HBA1C is likely to be reducing.
However, they measure different things so do not expect them to be the same or very close.
My real HBA1C was more than 20% higher than the Libre estimate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aris

Vickyc2804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Libre CGM can give you an estimated A1C based on it monitoring your BG 24/7. Not sure how accurate the estimation is though as I don't wear one continuously. Also, though there is a correlation, ones BG number and A1C number aren't a numerical match. I keep this attached photo on my phone to give me some context with the BG numbers as they use different measurement in the US (mg/dl) compared to the UK (mmol/l). It also gives some context between mmol/l and an HbA1C
That’s really interesting thanks. Think the chart has gone over my head though