Damaging the pancreas

Dzialo

I have huge doubts if I should use a pump because it makes the pancreas even weaker?? Any advice??

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Are you type 1, 1.5l late onset or type 2. Because if your type 1 it's already been attacked( and depending when you were diagnosed, you could be in the honeymoon stage, so still making a bit, of insulin, but that will stop). My pancreas is already shot, as I've been diabetic for 30 odd years, but only got a pump in Nov last year, after fighting for, fir 15years and to be honest the control it has given me, they will have to break my hands to get it back. So it depends where you are with your diabetes.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Where have you read this or who has told you this? This is the first time I've heard this said.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard before it would weaken the pancreas..... I'm failing to understand how it could! It doesn't go near your pancreas!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read quite alot about pump recently and have never seen this mentioned.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your pancreas is shot - the pump is an external pancreas which is basically a replacement - yours cant be any more knackered than it is.

Reactions: 7 people

Dzialo

But don't you rely to much on the insulin from the pump because he injects much more than when you do it by yourself

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But don't you rely to much on the insulin from the pump because he injects much more than when you do it by yourself

No, often.pump users inject less than if they were on mdi. Basal is a steady release of qa which for many works out less total units over a 24 hour period than injecting basal once/twice a day. Meal boluses are the same amounts. either way, you need one or the other

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on alot less insulin now I'm on the pump and it's the same short acting insulin I was using with several injections a day. The pumps are amazing and definitely deliver more tailored treatment for your diabetes compared to MDI