dapagliflozin

Diane01322

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi looking for advice, newly T2 been given dapagliflozin, I understand that one of the side effects is dizziness. Started taking it at night (was told this was OK) on waking I'm fine about 2 hrs after breakfast I'm so dizzy, heavy feet... Drinking loads of water, could it be I'm not eating enough carbs, I was told I don't need to check my own bloods just have blood test in 3 months. Keep having to leave work as feel so rough... Any ideas very welcome

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely test your sugars since you could be going low.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I will purchase a machine as they wouldn't provide one as they said I didn't need one... Thank you for your advise.
Your GP can provide you with a glucose monitor free of charge. - as a diabetic you should be able to get test strips on prescription. i don't know if the rules have changed but i am on insulin but even when i was on just metformin alone i was still getting test strips from the pharmacy. hopefully your GP can give you a meter with the test strips.

Suzysheppard

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi looking for advice, newly T2 been given dapagliflozin, I understand that one of the side effects is dizziness. Started taking it at night (was told this was OK) on waking I'm fine about 2 hrs after breakfast I'm so dizzy, heavy feet... Drinking loads of water, could it be I'm not eating enough carbs, I was told I don't need to check my own bloods just have blood test in 3 months. Keep having to leave work as feel so rough... Any ideas very welcome
A blood glucose machine will become your best friend - it will help you understand what foods you can tolerate and which you need to avoid! Are you not taking metformin? Dapaglifozin gave me terrible thrush so make sure you get canastin on script if you suffer. I was T2D for three years, I’ve had most of the meds going! You shouldn’t be feeling dizzy in the morning if you take them at bed time.

Diane01322

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A blood glucose machine will become your best friend - it will help you understand what foods you can tolerate and which you need to avoid! Are you not taking metformin? Dapaglifozin gave me terrible thrush so make sure you get canastin on script if you suffer. I was T2D for three years, I’ve had most of the meds going! You shouldn’t be feeling dizzy in the morning if you take them at bed time.
Thank you... Today I've felt dizzy since 10am until now... Only been on them 10 days no thrush yet, fingers crossed, waiting for a call back from go before 6pm tomorrow. Maybe I'm not eating enough or too much. Just feel so lost with it all. Hopefully they will give me a monitor

Diane01322

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you... Today I've felt dizzy since 10am until now... Only been on them 10 days no thrush yet, fingers crossed, waiting for a call back from go before 6pm tomorrow. Maybe I'm not eating enough or too much. Just feel so lost with it all. Hopefully they will give me a monitor
Not on metformin they gave me dapagliflozin as I have kidney problem which they say has deteriorated. I was diagnosed pre diabetic 12 months ago but Dr didnt inform me, they say I slipped through the net!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP can provide you with a glucose monitor free of charge. - as a diabetic you should be able to get test strips on prescription. i don't know if the rules have changed but i am on insulin but even when i was on just metformin alone i was still getting test strips from the pharmacy. hopefully your GP can give you a meter with the test strips.
Type 2 not on insulin rarely get them on the nhs and haven’t for as long as I’ve been diagnosed (5yrs)

AndG

Please ask for a renal function test after one month. My renal function had dropped from 90+ to 41 after a month on dapagliflozin and was told to stop this medicine immediately. Three months is too long to wait. Also, have you shared your symptoms with your doctor?

AndG

Please ask for a renal function test after one month. My renal function had dropped from 90+ to 41 after a month on dapagliflozin and was told to stop this medicine immediately. Three months is too long to wait. Also, have you shared your symptoms with your doctor?

jayar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm also T2 and I got very, very sick on these tablets. Literally the one day I decided to not take it I felt like a new person. Dr has put me on another medication now and I'm fine.

Reactions: Diane01322

Diane01322

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm waiting for a call back from the Dr's.. OK I will ask for a test in 2 wks that will be a month since taking them, thank you

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
Dapagliflozin gave me constant muscle cramps for the 2 years I was on them. They lower the threshold which glucose passes through the kidneys, but this also takes electrolytes out as well which induced cramps. They should allow you to test if on this medication.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Lefteris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to get free strips when on met & Glic but when they stopped the Glic they stopped the free strips and said I didn’t need to test on Metformin. Still wanted to monitor so buy them myself - £15 a cassette after vat - expensive hobby!!

Mariavt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 not on insulin rarely get them on the nhs and haven’t for as long as I’ve been diagnosed (5yrs)
I’m type 2 on metformin. I was diagnosed 12 months ago and was prescribed a machine straight away. I also get the strips on prescription. My friend is a diabetic nurse at another practice and she will always prescribe a machine as it’s helps patients work out what food works and what doesn’t so think it depends on the GP. Always worth and ask if you’re struggling.

Reactions: Ashintheuk

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 2 on metformin. I was diagnosed 12 months ago and was prescribed a machine straight away. I also get the strips on prescription. My friend is a diabetic nurse at another practice and she will always prescribe a machine as it’s helps patients work out what food works and what doesn’t so think it depends on the GP. Always worth and ask if you’re struggling.
I was misdiagnosed and treated as an insulin resistant T2 17 years ago. I was given a machine back then. They need to change GP if unhappy with the standard of care.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few do get lucky but it’s not the typical practice or within standard guidance. Just reading on here shows how few type 2 get them. If only everyone had nurses like your friend. Always worth asking though and making a sound case for exactly HOW it will benefit you (quoting individualised care)
I was misdiagnosed and treated as an insulin resistant T2 17 years ago. I was given a machine back then. They need to change GP if unhappy with the standard of care.
not always possible and most practices have the same rules these days.

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
A few do get lucky but it’s not the typical practice or within standard guidance. Just reading on here shows how few type 2 get them. If only everyone had nurses like your friend. Always worth asking though and making a sound case for exactly HOW it will benefit you (quoting individualised care)

not always possible and most practices have the same rules these days.
My misdiagnosis lasted for about 12 years, and because I'm still randomly able to produce insulin under certain conditions, I'm still regarded as T2 by some which strictly speaking is insulin resistance (which I don't have). The problem is that there's a lot of ignorance/lack of understanding in the healthcare sector when you don't fit the pigeonhole. I am on prescription libre2 sensors now, but that was a journey of education for those who are tasked with my care.

• Informative
Reactions: HSSS

EBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not on metformin they gave me dapagliflozin as I have kidney problem which they say has deteriorated. I was diagnosed pre diabetic 12 months ago but Dr didnt inform me, they say I slipped through the net!
Hi I asked my diabetic nurse and she gave me two testing kits one for home and one for work. I slipped through the net for 7 years with my old GP and I am resistant to most of the medications I have tried.