Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
it seems the anti's are the odd ones out on this thread..perhaps a rethink?

With respect Jack, I don't think we need terms like 'anti' used on this forum, it serves no purpose whatsoever and only incites trouble, besides the whole 'anti' thing was made up by someone who seems to believe there's a war between those that low-carb and those that don't, but the only war going on is in their heads, for the majority of members here we all respect each others dietary path.

Reactions: 8 people
C

catherinecherub

This thread will be removed to the Moderator's forum where it will be edited and possible warnings issued if it continues in it's present format.
It seems that Mod intervention is not enough for some people and they have to have the last word and disregard forum rules.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With respect Jack, I don't think we need terms like 'anti' used on this forum, it serves no purpose whatsoever and only incites trouble, besides the whole 'anti' thing was made up by someone who seems to believe there's a war between those that low-carb and those that don't, but the only war going on is in their heads, for the majority of members here we all respect each others dietary path.
it was a poor choice of word and won't be repeated, my common respect for other ways of eating is evident in the links I put up. upto and including the newcastle diet. I may have been wrong in my feeling that fat was being singled out?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well having struggled through, I could pick up lots of points about diet but originally this was supposed to be about Metformin.
The American Heart organisation performed a meta analysis of observational studies (there is not much trial data, it's an old drug now) last year
This is their 'clinical perspective ' on the use of Met in people with heart failure
http://circheartfailure.ahajournals.org/content/6/3/395.full.pdf html

Heart failure (HF) is a serious and common comorbidity in patients with diabetes mellitus associated with major morbidity and mortality. There is still a large degree of uncertainty related to the most appropriate method for glycemic control in patients with comorbid diabetes mellitus and HF. Historically, metformin has been considered inappropriate in this patient population attributable to concerns over lactic acidosis. Increasing evidence suggests, however, that metformin may be a safe option in patients with HF. In our systematic review evaluating the association between metformin and morbidity and mortality in patients with diabetes mellitus and HF, 9 observational studies were identified. Compared with controls (who were predominantly managed with sulfonylurea therapy), pooled adjusted risk estimates indicated that metformin use was associated with a 20% lower mortality rate. Moreover, no increased risk of mortality was observed in those with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction or chronic kidney disease in those treated with metformin. With respect to overall safety, no increased risk of hospitalization or lactic acidosis was observed in metformin-treated subjects. It is important to consider that all available evidence for the use of metformin in patients with HF comes from observational data. Thus, unmeasured confounding may partially or fully explain our study findings. Until randomized controlled trial evidence is generated, our review supports the current recommendations set by major diabetes mellitus and cardiology clinical practice guidelines, endorsing the use of metformin in patients with diabetes mellitus and HF

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @Phub is going to go back and ask his Dr about metformin, I agree with your link that metformin is one of the safer drugs available for diabetics

Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (weight loss doctors), has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb.

" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @phoenix I found a different report saying something similar when I was deciding whether to take metformin or not. Un fortunately I couldn't find the link so I haven't contributed to this thread so far.

@Phub I found metformin useful as an appetite suppressant and am disappointed that my GP will no longer prescribe it as my HbA1c is now below 48. I can't really comment on the heart issues as my own heart problem was only atrial fibrillation. I agree it's best to go back to your GP on this matter.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
To the OP (Phub) - please seek your GP's advice on the matters of your concern .

This thread has now run its course .
Arguments , personal attacks , aside .
We the mod/admin team apologise for - so unnecessary
nor is positive mode within a thread .

Nor is there any anti/trolls labels here at DCUK .

Please read and refer to the forum rules .

Thread closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.