Dark meat and T2.......

izzy

I have just read in a newspaper that dark meat increases the risk of T2 .These articles are fine but it annoys me that they only give half the facts! To me such a statement needs confirmation with facts and figures. How much dark meat does one have to eat in order to increase this risk? What was the average age and size of the populace that this was done over? How long would one have to eat dark meat to increase this risk?.
We all know diabetes in any form is a serious thing. To write stuff that will panic peopleand arm them with only half the facts really annoys me! Most diabetics probably will go and seek out the facts for them selves but Joe public won't.
The article ends with advice to eat only white meat ,fish and seafood. Good advice, but this can be expensive for those on limited buyers. This smacks of the powers that be interfering again with the hidden agenda of fighting obesity rather than informed information to help T2 diabetics. Any one else feel the same as me??

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no certainties when looking at these studies. There are always "maybes", "associations" and "possibles". Best to ignore the headline, read the underlying study and think it could probably show a completely different outcome if they had looked for something else.. Also for a sample of over 63k subjects only just over 5k developing Type 2 over 11 years seems to give the lie to this "epidemic" at least in Singapore...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Dietitian Pav Kalsi, clinical adviser to charity Diabetes UK, said: “We know eating more red and processed meats is associated with a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes.

“Simple changes to diet include eating less processed and red meat and instead getting protein from plant sources such as pulses, beans and lentils and from lean poultry and oily fish.

“Eating more fruit and vegetables and whole grains, as well as cutting down on the amount of sugar, salt and fat in your diet can help too.”"

my highlights

It's quite rare to see such appalling advice all gathered together in one sentence... "cut down on sugar while eating more fruit and whole grains".. yep that's gonna work...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also for a sample of over 63k subjects only just over 5k developing Type 2 over 11 years seems to give the lie to this "epidemic" at least in Singapore.

Agreed. Who is to say what else they were eating, and who is to say they wouldn't have become T2 in those 11 years anyway ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Dietitian Pav Kalsi, clinical adviser to charity Diabetes UK, said: “We know eating more red and processed meats is associated with a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes.

“Simple changes to diet include eating less processed and red meat and instead getting protein from plant sources such as pulses, beans and lentils and from lean poultry and oily fish.

“Eating more fruit and vegetables and whole grains, as well as cutting down on the amount of sugar, salt and fat in your diet can help too.”"

my highlights

It's quite rare to see such appalling advice all gathered together in one sentence... "cut down on sugar while eating more fruit and whole grains".. yep that's gonna work...

Same old, same old from that particular organisation.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A nice bit of bottom of the barrel scaremongering can do great things for newspaper sales.

I seem to remember when I was a child that red meat was what we would normally eat during the week with fish on Fridays; chicken tended to be a Sunday treat and Turkey a Christmas one. Very few people were diabetic then as compared with now.

It's actually taken me well over 70 years of eating red meat to end up with diabetes... and AFAIK it's been a recent (and mainly unchosen) increase in carbs that did that for me! :wideyed:

Robbity