Dawn Phenomenon - Insulin Pumps

AnneK

I haven't been on for a while, would like to say it's because we are coping fabulously well but infact it's just cos life is crazy busy

Have just come back from the Hospital with Reece for his quarterly checks, Hba1C is 8.1% the hospital see as as good:?? However since going on Base Insulin 18 months ago, and going to bed on acceptable night time levels he always wakes up very high. I am aware that he is suffering with Dawn Phenomenon and check his bloods through the night for it to be climbing not maintaining. No amount of correction in units has resolved this so the hospital today said the best way forward was now the Insulin Pump. I'm not sure how i feel about this for many reasons and wondered what others thought.

Currently we are posted overseas in Germany and received nothing but fab care but we are moving back to UK at the end of June and wonder if they would still maintain the pump once in place...

Anny advice/help will be much appreciated

Anne
xx

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anne, my daughter was put onto the insulin pump nearly a month ago for that exact reason. She was waking with high readings and increasing the night time dose of Levemir didn't help. Increasing doses at night only meant that she went hypo more severely around 2am. We tried lots of different things over a period of time but nothing seemed to work. Since going on the pump we have brilliant morning readings, usually in the 5s or 6s. Her day time readings on injections weren't too bad but we've seen an improvement with the pump on that too.

I don't know how you would stand with getting the pump supported in the UK, to be sure you'd have to make enquiries. But my thoughts are that I can't imagine them removing the pump from you if you're already on it. If I were you I'd jump at the chance of getting the pump now and then fight for the NHS to support it here with the consumables if necessary. I think you have a better chance that way than waiting until you move back to the UK and start asking for an insulin pump here. Some hospitals seem to be more pro-pump than others.