Death of a pet

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

One of my beloved kitties had to be put to sleep yesterday due to liver failure and failing kidneys. It has been painful watching her suffer over the weekend and I understand that putting her to sleep was the right thing to do, but I don't know how I'm going to cope without her.

She was a very loving cat, friendly with everyone and also caring. When i was crying in agony over my neuropathy pains, she came out of the window sill where she loved to lie and came over to me for a cuddle.

I have another two cats, one the same age and another whose a 6 month old kitten. It's just feels like there's a massive void been ripped in my life. This year's been hard enough for me already. My blood sugar definitely took a hit yesterday, back to 5.4 this morning. I found it very hard to give insulin too, my hand was shaking more than it usually does, my mum had to steady the pen for me while I injected. I would say something like this does take an effect on managing diabetes.

I know I'll eventually get over it, as I've had to do it before but it seems even harder now that I've got diabetes. I'm actually tearing up while writing this

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Stefan you have my heartfelt sympathy having recently lost one of my cats and am still reduced to tears when i remember her dying in my arms at the vets so try to stay positive and think of the love and care you gave her

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about that @StefanR95

Pets are part of the family so I can understand why you're so upset. I had a cat that had to be put to sleep due to kidney failure too. Just try to think that you did the right thing for them.

Diabetes can make everything harder. Be kind to yourself. X

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm dying inside thinking about it, my brother came home from school yesterday all happy then we had to tell him, I've never seen him cry like that, the older of my sisters cried too, the younger one didn't, she's too young to understand fully but you could tell she was sad.

We've got a wee gravestone ordered for her, like are others cats that died got, just a way to remember her when we go out to the garden

Last edited:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi everyone,

One of my beloved kitties had to be put to sleep yesterday due to liver failure and failing kidneys. It has been painful watching her suffer over the weekend and I understand that putting her to sleep was the right thing to do, but I don't know how I'm going to cope without her.

She was a very loving cat, friendly with everyone and also caring. When i was crying in agony over my neuropathy pains, she came out of the window sill where she loved to lie and came over to me for a cuddle.

I have another two cats, one the same age and another whose a 6 month old kitten. It's just feels like there's a massive void been ripped in my life. This year's been hard enough for me already. My blood sugar definitely took a hit yesterday, back to 5.4 this morning. I found it very hard to give insulin too, my hand was shaking more than it usually does, my mum had to steady the pen for me while I injected. I would say something like this does take an effect on managing diabetes.

I know I'll eventually get over it, as I've had to do it before but it seems even harder now that I've got diabetes. I'm actually tearing up while writing this

Losing a pet is one of the most painful losses and may take some time to recover. The best thing to do when the animal is old or sick is to rely on the vet to put the kitty to sleep. We had cats who being old and sick, the vet came to our house and first gave a sedative and then a needle putting them to sleep. It was much more difficult for me with our elderly dogs. Take care, all things must pass.

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry. It hurts so much, doesn't it?
It's does hurt, I just keep thinking of all the memories I've had with her, like when we found her and her sister by a busy road (there was a third kitten but it ran away into a bush, couldn't find it). Then there was her first snow day, she loved it. I also remember her sitting in my laptop box and trying to catch my finger. There's so many I can't possibly list all if them right now.

It comforts me that we gave her a good life, and she brought so much joy into ours.

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm so sorry, Stefan. It's so hard, diabetes or not. A year ago today I said goodbye to my wonderful Victor (his picture is my avatar). He lived to 16 and a half but was so poorly at the end that I took the heartbreaking decision to let the vet help him on his way.

Hugs x