Developing reactive hypoglycemia from being sick?

EdgyLady

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
what you are describing about the higher than normal spikes is typically RH.
that is your first phase insulin response. Mine is wesk, not enough insulin, the imbalance causes the spike, and any carbs will do it! If you are happier snacking little bites all day, that is how you control the spikes and hypoglycaemia. If you can't fast, what else is there? Though you naturally fast overnight. It is so hard!

You have to be careful with drugs and how they effect you. Meds contain ingredients that you may be susceptible to. Containing sugars, to make you feel better (sure!) That will make is RH ers worse.
You will really have to make sure, what you eat and drink is not going to cause a spike or a hypo.

Take care.
I may have figured out what's up. It's a possibility my thyroid might be the culprit after all. A health care worker pointed out to me that severe low vit d and highish calcium(which is what I have) wouldn't be possible in normal body. Did some research and found this seems to be the case. My mother has hyperthyroidism and I'm aware thyroid issues can affect blood sugar. I have problems gaining weight but lose it so easily, reactive hypo like problem, and my vit d is very low and calcium is slightly elevated.

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I may have figured out what's up. It's a possibility my thyroid might be the culprit after all. A health care worker pointed out to me that severe low vit d and highish calcium(which is what I have) wouldn't be possible in normal body. Did some research and found this seems to be the case. My mother has hyperthyroidism and I'm aware thyroid issues can affect blood sugar. I have problems gaining weight but lose it so easily, reactive hypo like problem, and my vit d is very low and calcium is slightly elevated.
My daughter for years suffered with thyroid issues. One side was hyper, the other hypo!
We went down the same route until the hypo side stopped, due to time and a few meds!
Because of the thyroid issues, the knock on effect is still causing problems throughout her body!

So be careful and get the help you need
Best wishes.

EdgyLady

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My daughter for years suffered with thyroid issues. One side was hyper, the other hypo!
We went down the same route until the hypo side stopped, due to time and a few meds!
Because of the thyroid issues, the knock on effect is still causing problems throughout her body!

So be careful and get the help you need
Best wishes.
I might be getting closer to the answer and yeah thyroid problems is my guess but it's probably mild for me. My family members I've mentioned that are thin with type 2. They have recently gotten more blood work done. Type 1 was ruled out and apparently they are type 2 with insulin DEFICIENCY instead of resistance. Makes me question whether my problem is a deficiency.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My family members I've mentioned that are thin with type 2. They have recently gotten more blood work done. Type 1 was ruled out and apparently they are type 2 with insulin DEFICIENCY instead of resistance. Makes me question whether my problem is a deficiency.
As far as I know there are no tests that can truly rule out T1 if someone has insulin deficiency.
Have they also had genetic testing for MODY?

EdgyLady

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did finally have some progress in terms of getting doctors to take me seriously. My symptoms got worse since last post as in higher spikes as in 200s and less lows, extreme difficulty in trying to maintain my weight, chronic fatigue, joint pain, and constant abdominal pain. Recently was diagnosed with celiac. After cutting out gluten, a lot of my symptoms went away. However I still have spikes but not as high 160-180s. There are still some abnormalities in my bloodwork so I was contacted by the office for further testing next month from now. Hopefully the reactive issue goes away as I continue to heal because I don't want additional issues on top of celiac.

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D and MrsA2

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did finally have some progress in terms of getting doctors to take me seriously. My symptoms got worse since last post as in higher spikes as in 200s and less lows, extreme difficulty in trying to maintain my weight, chronic fatigue, joint pain, and constant abdominal pain. Recently was diagnosed with celiac. After cutting out gluten, a lot of my symptoms went away. However I still have spikes but not as high 160-180s. There are still some abnormalities in my bloodwork so I was contacted by the office for further testing next month from now. Hopefully the reactive issue goes away as I continue to heal because I don't want additional issues on top of celiac.
It's good to get some answers, but something else in the blood work is a concern.
I think that lowering carbs even more because of the gluten and celiac to reduce your wheat intake as much as possible, cos that is what I had to do.
With my RH and already from young my lactose intolerance, and obviously learning from my diagnosis about carbs, my intolerance to wheat and starch, never mind the sugar was a huge surprise.
It could be along with the celiac an issue with your gut bacteria.
I do hope you get the tests you need and the best treatment for it.
Do let us know how you get on.
Best wishes.

EdgyLady

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's good to get some answers, but something else in the blood work is a concern.
I think that lowering carbs even more because of the gluten and celiac to reduce your wheat intake as much as possible, cos that is what I had to do.
With my RH and already from young my lactose intolerance, and obviously learning from my diagnosis about carbs, my intolerance to wheat and starch, never mind the sugar was a huge surprise.
It could be along with the celiac an issue with your gut bacteria.
I do hope you get the tests you need and the best treatment for it.
Do let us know how you get on.
Best wishes.
Thank you, but my blood sugar is at its most stable with not low carb + high protein and fat surprisingly and I will consistently stay around 100-120s throughout the day most the time with no spikes or drops. Low and no carbs do not spike me but somehow plummets me into lows consistently a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D