EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do I need to remove my Dexcom g6 before a mammogram?
I think I've had a mammogram since starting with dexcom and don't remember having to remove it. (Sorry to be so vague)

Here's what dexcom say about medical procedures

I'd probably check with the people doing the mammogram.. When I last travelled to the UK my spare transmitter got xrayed (I couldn't convince the security staff to just swab it) and when I came to use that transmitter it failed after a couple of weeks, so I personally wouldn't risk xraying a transmitter, but I would have thought that the mammogram only xrays your breast.

I would be interested if you get a definitive answer for when I next have a mammogram.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you :) They don't normally bother me, but last time I had one at my local hospital, where I'm going this time I had an awful time because they'd got a new machine and basically caused trauma to my clavicle (diagnosed by gp and still having pain now). Had a non routine one at a different hospital 2 years ago, same machine, and it was fine.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :) They don't normally bother me, but last time I had one at my local hospital, where I'm going this time I had an awful time because they'd got a new machine and basically caused trauma to my clavicle (diagnosed by gp and still having pain now). Had a non routine one at a different hospital 2 years ago, same machine, and it was fine.
I've had only one and I dread the day I'm old enough for routine mammograms, not sure I'll be up to it.
The one I had years ago caused me to have months of recurring nightmares, and even thinking about it makes me all tense up still. I've just turned 46, four more years until I have to decide.

I'll have my fingers crossed for yours to be just boring and annoying tomorrow.

Reactions: Hopeful34

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had several now and though I've never exactly enjoyed them they've never caused me more than minor discomfort (during and not after the mammogram). Going to the dentist is definitely worse (for me anyway).

Good luck @Hopeful34

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just updating this thread and agree dexcom isn't a problem (as long as it's not on your breast). I also asked about pumps (for the future) and was told that they are fine as long as not on your breast (and that's a step too far for me though I believe some people do put them there.

Also, (and this is for you @Antje77 ) they had a new machine which was infinitely less painful (maybe 10 seconds of mild discomfort) than the old one. I was in and out in ten minutes and most of that was form filling..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, (and this is for you @Antje77 ) they had a new machine which was infinitely less painful (maybe 10 seconds of mild discomfort) than the old one. I was in and out in ten minutes and most of that was form filling..
Promise I'll do some more research once I get the invitation, who knows how brave I'll be by that time.
But for now, your post caused an instant tense up even reading about those 10 seconds.
I've felt more freedom today than I did in ages (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today-low-carb-forum.75781/post-2657823), the sharp physical reaction to your post was surprising!

Still, thanks a lot for thinking of me on this one, much appreciated.
And I'm very happy to hear your experience was so much better than before!