Dexcom G5 in the UK

DJ2105

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Haven’t been on here for years and thought I’d start a new account (can’t remember log in ) as I have a question to ask!

I want to know more about the Dexcom G5. The cost primarily.. and how to go about getting it! I have the freestyle libre at the moment but the Dexcom appeals to me more..

If anyone can help with some information that would be great!

Daniel

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DJ2105. Hi. I've just recently purchased the dexcom G4 ( work restrictions with phones ).
Understand that you're looking at G5 which will work out cheaper as you will not require the receiver. You'll need a smart phone.
Receiver set me back £350, transmitter £270 and pack of 4 sensors £200. So just over £800.
You will need some ancillary bits, skin tac, adhesive patches and alcohol wipes.
I'm fairly confident Dexcom quote a price for the G5 kit online.
I actually contacted them direct by phone and they were absolutely fantastic with information. Placed order on a Friday and it was delivered Monday a.m.
Good luck, if I can help more just ask.
They are great bits of kit.

grva05

Hi guys,

Haven’t been on here for years and thought I’d start a new account (can’t remember log in ) as I have a question to ask!

I want to know more about the Dexcom G5. The cost primarily.. and how to go about getting it! I have the freestyle libre at the moment but the Dexcom appeals to me more..

If anyone can help with some information that would be great!

Daniel
I'm curious Daniel why the Dexcom appeals over Freestyle. I have many frustrations with Freestyle and I looked at the Dexcom but the costs looked to be twice that of Freestyle - 7 days sensor life versus 14 for around the same cost and if I remember rightly the need to calibrate with finger pricks three times every 24 hours. I wasn't after fairly short investigation tempted - you are?

Regards, Roger Mackenzie

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I posted this yesterday on another Dexcom v Libre thread so maybe useful...

(In short Dexcom for me as it proactively sends info and alerts (rather than having to scan with the Libre) and the integration with Apple Watch).

I started with the Libre.
Easier to apply. Each sensor lasts for two weeks. The reader is simply recharged, mine still works two years on. A bit smaller, smoother shape, gets caught less. Out of 20 sensors I had one lose adhesion after 3 days. No calibration needed. Annual cost in UK (I think is c£1,300).

It was invaluable, but then I heard about the Dexcom G5 so switched as you still need to visibly scan (i'm weird and don't like doing that at work). If you have an Android phone you don't need the reader... but i'm Apple so the reader was another thing I needed to carry. No alerts (I understand Blucon now solves this). You need to reach across and scan the other arm... tricky on a bike, impossible on a motorbike! Mountain climbing... I feared dropping the reader in precarious positions. That said my second week with it I climbed Mont Blanc and the ability to scan in some pretty hair raising situations was incredible where finger pricking was not an option!

Dexcom G5
Application is a bit more involved (looks a bit scary!) but straightforward. I wear on my arm (recommendation is stomach). Sensor sticks to skin. They are recommended for one week, but you can restart them in the app after the week (you don't physically move them). A transmitter fits inside that last 90-100 days (you use it with replacement sensors). Then sends info to phone or reader. Needs twice daily calibration. Is a bit awkwardly shaped. Cost depends on how long you can make sensors last. I aim for 2 weeks (some people get 3 or 4) so I think brings it in at £2,200 annually.

I love the Dexcom as I further send the data to my Apple Watch, which is always easy to discretely and accessibly read in any situation. I end up checking it more, which for me is important as my blood sugar can move quickly, sometimes with Libre I just forgot. It alerts (you can adjust alerts to off or vibrate, bar the urgent low glucose alarm). With my iPhone it means no need to carry a reader.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started a Dexcom/Libre thread on the glucose monitoring forum and good info there. I found out our Medicare (which I just got, also have employer supplied health insurance) just agreed to cover the Dexcom G5 (80%). But they will not cover it IF I USE THE PHONE APP, only the Dexcom reader. How weird is that, how could that matter to them? I sort of bothers me, so I'm holding back to see about it and may talk to someone from Dexcom. I will probably not be able to prescribe it for myself like I can insulin, so that could be a pain but I could do it. I just want to have it alert me and my wife during the night if I'm low which would be the main reason to have it. I'm sure I'd learn from the daytime data too but I do OK in the daytime usually. I'm a little reluctant to be "chained" to a device but it's probably not horrible.

Reactions: Ruby919