Dexcom keeps losing signal?

jade88

Hi I have recently received funding for the Dexcom G6 and keep having problems with losing signal? Even when my transmitter and phone are within 6 meters of each other? Has anyone else had this issue? I am on my 2nd one now both placed on tummy but different sides but keeps happening?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
6m is quite a big distance, I usually aim to have it much nearer than that. And though I do lose signal, particularly when I leave the room and forget to take my phone, when I go back in range it soon reconnects and replaces the missing data.

Having said that, I do occasionally get problems near the end of a sensor or the end of a transmitter. (And I had one transmitter fail early and before it failed I kept losing signal);

Remember that the transmitter only sends a signal every 5 miniutes, so if you go out of range and back in again it can take 5 minutes to reconnect. (And I've tried turning bluetooth on and off on my phone but don't think that speeds things up.)

Dexcom support are very helpful if you have any issues with your sensor or transmitter so I suggest you also consider phoning them for advice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jade88 I tend to keep my phone within 1 metre distance most of the time, when I go out of range I simply close the dexcom app and re-open again and it picks up the signal fairly quickly. It may well be a sensor error and as Ellie has suggested a call to Dexcom would be worthwhile if it persists.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
sometimes i can wader freely about the house, i can be in the front garden and still get a signal... other times it needs to be within a meter

my guess is that the bluetooth spectrum is quite busy, so many signals about, and the antenna in the dexcom is very small, much smaller than that of a mobile phone for example.. so the more signals there are the closer it needs to be

jade88

Thanks guys for the advice! To be fair my phone is normally with me but surprised how often it seems to be losing signal! What worries me is the reason for having this is I hypo in the night but don’t wake up so I’m worried if I keep losing signal in the night my alarm won’t go off to warn me that I’m going low! I will given Dexcom a call thank you!