Dexcom One - What's it like in use?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
CGMs including the Dexcom One are now freely available to all Type 1s.

Hmmm.. not sure, but there is no reason for the diabetic clinic to refuse one.
Have a look around for quotes from Professor Partha Kar who has worked so hard to make this happen.
Very big reason to refuse - your local clinic budget. Other hurdle is how well trained your local DSNs in maximising better BG results from prescribing CGMs - I reckon still a very small number? Also NICE guidance is just guidance - if the extra budget isn't available in your local area budget, still unlikely to be more widely offered, even though if properly adopted this technology should bring down costs of diabetes complications in future years...

Reactions: In Response

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very big reason to refuse - your local clinic budget. Other hurdle is how well trained your local DSNs in maximising better BG results from prescribing CGMs - I reckon still a very small number? Also NICE guidance is just guidance - if the extra budget isn't available in your local area budget, still unlikely to be more widely offered, even though if properly adopted this technology should bring down costs of diabetes complications in future years...
Have a look at Professor Kar's comments on this page:

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just taken the plunge and cancelled my G6 subscription which finished in December. I have 90 days worth of G6 sensors and transmitters and will order the Dexcom One in the new year.
My phone is now listed as compatible and the sales person I spoke to this morning reckoned that I'd see little change as I didn't use most of the G6 functions anyway. He didn't know whether there'd be a subscription similar to the current G6 one but I suspect it's likely as the website shows one for other countries. He also mentioned that the One was available on prescription and I said I'd mention it at my next review. I suspect that funding will be in short supply though.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just taken the plunge and cancelled my G6 subscription which finished in December. I have 90 days worth of G6 sensors and transmitters and will order the Dexcom One in the new year.
My phone is now listed as compatible and the sales person I spoke to this morning reckoned that I'd see little change as I didn't use most of the G6 functions anyway. He didn't know whether there'd be a subscription similar to the current G6 one but I suspect it's likely as the website shows one for other countries. He also mentioned that the One was available on prescription and I said I'd mention it at my next review. I suspect that funding will be in short supply though.
You are eligible for the Dexcom One, though not the G6. If your hospital argues, challenge them. Quote Professor Partha Kar. See page in my last message. If that doesn't do it then contact Partha Kar. He has frequently said we should do that.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are eligible for the Dexcom One, though not the G6. If your hospital argues, challenge them. Quote Professor Partha Kar. See page in my last message. If that doesn't do it then contact Partha Kar. He has frequently said we should do that.
The problem I have with that is that I haven't been near the hospital since I was diagnosed in 2014. I have an annual review with the GP and Practice Nurse and, luckily, my Type one is easily manageable with basel/bolus and my HB1AC has been around 5 every year since.

I'll bring it up at my next review but I shant hold my breath. Luckily I can afford to pay my own way and am switching as I don't need all the bells and whistles that the G6 brings.

Reactions: letsgo182

M. Moody

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I currently self fund the dexcom g6 for 160 per month. I see Dexcom now have the One available for 300 for 3 months, 100 per month.
The One has less functionality;
not pump compatible
less alerts
no sharing of data with family etc.

Other than that the One and G6 seem pretty similar.

None of the above are important to me so I am considering moving to the One.
Has anyone else had experience using One or any thoughts?
Thanks
Brian
My husband has the One and we find it very glitchy. It constantly alerts him that it has lost signal even when he is next to his phone. The alert does not override the volume on his iPhone so when he accidentally switched the volume off he had a massive hypo as had no alerts. I wouldn’t want it linked to a pump at the moment as I wouldn’t trust it. It has now gotten so unreliable he is back to the old way of testing his blood. The one positive is that it does share information with his diabetic doctor so she can see what is going on.

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Waking up in the night with a hypos and a loss of sensor alarms from CGM
I was given one sensor by my diabetic nurse at the hospital and have just tried it for the last week and I do not like it at all. I have had far too many lows compared to my finger prick stick, so because of this I don’t want to change to it.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was given one sensor by my diabetic nurse at the hospital and have just tried it for the last week and I do not like it at all. I have had far too many lows compared to my finger prick stick, so because of this I don’t want to change to it.
Is it reading consistently low? YOu could recalibrate it? (If it has that feature, the G6 does).

• Informative
Reactions: Marie 2

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used the G6, G7 and One recently. If you aren't sure of how the one differs from G6, I wrote about it here: https://www.diabettech.com/cgm/we-come-dexcomone-sorry-faithless/

The key differences are:
  • There is no Dexcom Share, so caregivers are unable to follow a user;
  • It can't be used with AID systems;
  • The app contains no predictive alerts;
  • The included Glucose reports are much more clarity like than on the G6 app, which doesn’t have anything like this;
  • The codes for the ONE start with a different character compared to the G6;
  • It is not possible to calibrate the ONE

Essentially, the differences are all driven out of the Dexcom ONE software, as the hardware is identical to the Dexcom G6, down to the ability to connect to a receiver and a phone and to calibrate if you have a way to send it the data (which open source tools allow, such as xDrip).

As a type 1, you shouldn't have to pay for ONE. You don't need to get your clinic to approve it. It can be prescribed directly by your GP as it's on the England and Wales Drug Tariff. Again, there's a guide to doing this here: https://www.diabettech.com/cgm/how-to-get-real-time-cgm-on-prescription-in-england-a-brief-approach/

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am following this thread with interest. I have been having so many issues with Libre 2 I have completely lost trust in it. I about to change to dexcom one. Unfortunately as the local heath board has not yet got systems in place I will have to pay.

Abbot are happy to replace the sensors, but not sort the issues. They do not even ask you to return the sensors

I look forward to hearing more about peoples experience. I will of course share mine

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it reading consistently low? YOu could recalibrate it? (If it has that feature, the G6 does).

I stand corrected now, as my readings for the first week were in fact lower by up to 3mml at times. But, now it’s more or less the same as a finger prick test on my meter. I am currently on the FreeStyle Libre 2 though the NHS, but I don’t have much faith in those readings either, as for me they were much higher on my last sensor. However now this week they are all pretty much the same.

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am following this thread with interest. I have been having so many issues with Libre 2 I have completely lost trust in it. I about to change to dexcom one. Unfortunately as the local heath board has not yet got systems in place I will have to pay.

Abbot are happy to replace the sensors, but not sort the issues. They do not even ask you to return the sensors

I look forward to hearing more about peoples experience. I will of course share mine

I’m feeling exactly the same as you with loss of trust with the FreeStyle Libre 2.

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are far too many signal loss alarms with it, that go off all hours of the day and night. Also the screen keeps freezing with a message about it being in IOS mode, so that you can’t even see any readings. I am a type 1 diabetic and expected more. Maybe this is fine for a type 2 but not on insulin as you can’t make any treatment decisions based on the sensor readings, but that’s all based on my experience. View attachment 58860

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have put my first dexcom one on this morning. it is currently warming up. I am hoping for great things. Libre 2 has been a disaster. They keep replacing sensors but not sorting the problems

Will update as things progress

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have put my first dexcom one on this morning. it is currently warming up. I am hoping for great things. Libre 2 has been a disaster. They keep replacing sensors but not sorting the problems

Will update as things progress
Not sure if you're UK based, but how long did you wait for delivery after ordering? I have a month supply of G6 to use, I'm trying to gauge when to order...

cheers.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jackois

Sorry to take so long to respond, just noticed your post. I am in UK. I got my order the next day.

So far Dexcom One is working very well. For me very accurate about 0.1 - 0.2 difference from finger pricks. The first 24 hours were not so accurate. Not sure if I should try inserting the sensor 24 hour in advance before switching it on as I did with Libre.

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
G7 has the calibration feature too. Libre 2 does not.

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
I’m feeling exactly the same as you with loss of trust with the FreeStyle Libre 2.
I was having my skin damaged by the Libre 2 and sensors were lasting less than 24hrs before they ended. I was self-funding anyway being Type 2 so although D6 was more expensive I switched. I more recently tried out G7 & liked it so I have switched to G7, which works out cheaper than G6 if I remember correctly.

Reactions: oldgreymare

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a quick update. I am now on my 3rd sensor. My second was very inaccurate. Dexcom replaced it. This sensor is fairly accurate. Sometimes very close only 0.1 or 0.3 different from a finger prick. Other times 0.5 - 0.7 different. The accuracy improves once the sensor has been on for 2 - 3 days. No problems with signal loss or sensor becoming detached. Definitely not being woken in the night with false lows.

I did try appying the sensor 24 hrs before switching it on. Did not seem to help. Would be interested in hearing from other Dexcom users to see if applying the sensor early helps.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know about the Dexcom One or Dexcom 7 as I haven't used those. But I have used the Dexcom 6 for years. What we call "soaking", inserting the sensor about 24 hours before you start it, usually helps it not be so far off when it starts and the first 24 hours it's on. It's probably one reason I like to restart mine. It doesn't take as much calibration to get it to fall into line. I'm pretty OCD about wanting mine to be within .3 mmol (5mg) of accuracy.

But it does seem to help it not be as off at first and fall into line easier for me.