dextrose tablets or sugary drink dont raise sugar

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey its been over 1 half year since iv developed a gastroparesis like problem iv noticed that when ever my sugar level goes low even if i drink a sugary drink or take dextrose tablet my sugar doesn't move or raise does anyone else experience this?.

Hlt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey its been over 1 half year since iv developed a gastroparesis like problem iv noticed that when ever my sugar level goes low even if i drink a sugary drink or take dextrose tablet my sugar doesn't move or raise does anyone else experience this?.
Yo Static x. You seriously need to see your dr & get him/her to refer you to see a diabetic nurse/dr asap! That really doesn't sound good. Try & make an appointment tomorrow. Never heard of this before. Good luck xxx

joenya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have this problem when I hypo it can take over a hour for me to feel normal and in that time I have had 80 or 90 grams of carbs and 2 hours later I can still have blood sugar of 4.5 but then 2 hours after that it will be 24

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Would injected glucose not be easier and more accurate to treat a hypo in this type of situation?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would injected glucose not be easier and more accurate to treat a hypo in this type of situation?

Possibly, but where would you get injected glucose from? You can be set up with an IV dextrose drip. But there aren't any handy kits (that I'm aware of) for injectable glucose.

You might be thinking of glucagon? Which is different.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh, I had not realized that it was two different things. I had a friend that was type 1 with this problem. I do not think he ever solved it effectively and his sugars were all over the map. I am surprised they have not come up with something for this problem.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Catapillar, I've always thought glucagon was injectable glucose? If not, what is it please?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Catapillar, I've always thought glucagon was injectable glucose? If not, what is it please?

No it's not injectable glucose, glucagon has its limits and it's probably important to understand those if there is any chance you might end up having to use it to treat a hypo. It's a hormone than tells your liver to dump it's glucose stores. So if you have recently previously treated a hypo with glucagon and your liver is not restocked with glucose stores, it might not be very effective at treating your hypo, same if you have been drinking. You have to have a liver that is paying attention and is stocked with glucose for glucagon to work. Also, I believe forcing that liver dump makes you feel pretty rough afterwards.

I guess injectable glucose isn't available because absorbing glucose by eating it is fairly straight forward and the most efficient way of doing it. Unless you are unfortunate enough to be having gastroparesis issues that slow the process. I hope OP can find a work around.

Reactions: Rachel_H

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's a hormone like insulin which is normally produced in the pancreas. Insulin lowers your BS, glucagon puts it up - in simple terms.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are struggling with hypos @static192 , then you should look at Glucogel. While it tastes disgusting, you rub it into the cheeks and gums and the glucose is absorbed through the membrane. It should help you with the issue that you have due to GastroP.

I think in this kind of case you can get it on prescription.

A

asparagusp

I can't see Glucogel being mentioned which you rub into the inside of your cheeks. It;s available for those on insulin through the GP. Maybe over the counter too?

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies about glucagon. Fortunately, in over 50 years as a t1, I've never needed one, but as I also have gastroP (and a damaged liver due to autoimmune hepatitis), I've sometimes had to use glucogel for bad lows.