Diabetes 2 and Peripheral Neuropathy

DGru

I am a diabetic (type 2) and suffer greatly from peripheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. Sometimes the pain in my feet is dreadful and I get to my wits end. The pain is always there to a greater or lesser extent, not much lesser by the way.

Does anyone else on this forum suffer from this and how do you cope with it?

What are your medications to help relieve the pain?

How long have you had it?

Do your doctors fully understand the pain you are experiencing?

Please let me know.
Regards DGru

Tracey69

HI and welcome
There is apatient on here called Gollymax who suffers with what they call RESTLESS leg syndrome,
which causes him pain all the time,
Look him up and tell him i told you to contact him, he may be able to advice you what pain killers may help.
Take care
Tracey

Deon

Hi

I'm new to the site, and we live on seperate continents, but nevertheless, peripheral neuropathy was identified in my feet about a year ago. At first I was only given mild pain killers, but the pain can be unbearable sometimes and my GP has since prescribed Pentoxifylline 400 SR - I'm not sure whether it sold under the same name in the UK, but if it is, I'd suggest you speak to your GP about it because it does the trick for me to firstly reduce the "really bad episodes" and secondly, to reduce overall symptoms - both tingling and pain.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi DGru,

I suffered from neuropathy long before I knew what it was; or indeed before I was diagnosed as T2.

I don't wish to take the Lord's name in vain; particularly at this time of year, but the best way to describe the sharp pains in my hands and feet i used to get very frequently was as if I was being crucified. :shock:

Gladly, that's all in the past and I put that down to a supplement called Benfotamaine.

Just type that word into the search bar at the top right hand corner of this forum and you can read loads of previous posts about it.

It works for me and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to others. :D

draggett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
reversal of established peripheral neuropathy

I have had type 2 diabetes for 8 years and peripheral neuropathy for 5 years. I have good blood sugar level control at 6 - 7 with sustained release metformin. However, with periodic excess alcohol (with depression) it has progressed to diabetic / alcoholic neuropathy in the lower legs (numbness in feet, tingling on waking for about an hour in legs, loss of muscle strength, loss of tissue) and possibly in the hands. I have been off the alcohol for about a month. I take about 4 hr a week aerobic and resistance training.
Has anyone had success with (even partially) reversing similar established neuropathy, and how? Acetyl-L-carnitine is prescribed in Italy and alphalipoic acid in Germany to improve sensation in diabetic neuropathy (both availabe in UK off-prescription). I have seen suggestions that high intensity pulsed electromagnetic fields might work, but cant find a source. I cant take the lipoic acid with metformin, as it reduces blood sugars in its own right.
Any success stories abour reversal please?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: reversal of established peripheral neuropathy

I don't have personal experience of this problem, but I have read of neuropathy being reversed by good control. that mans HbA1cs in the 5s without many spikes.
It isn't easy, but if it's to save your legs, it's worth the effort.
Hana

draggett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: reversal of established peripheral neuropathy

Many thanks Hana
I think good blood control will slow or halt neuropathy, but I'm not sure if it will reverse it. You can't remember where you read about it.
Regards, Peter

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi all, I have not posted in a while, since I retired a year life has become more hectic that ever (not sure how that works :roll: ), I may have broached this issue before, so sorry I am boring you! :yawn: I have been suffering with pain in my right side, that kind of moves up and down my from my bottom to my thigh, knee and ankle - like a toothache in my leg - akin to sciatica for over a year or more now, I mentioned to GP some months ago and she dismissed peripheral neuropathy out of hand, and attributed it to being a back problem and gave me an exercise sheet and exercise seems to exacerbate it. However, I am not convinced about her diagnosis, one is that the pain has not abated and seems to match the symptoms of Peripheral neuropathy exactly, she said that it is suffered on both sides, but that is not what i have been reading on the diabetic websites. Does anyone have any experience of this type of problem, also my feet and legs often burn and tingle after any extra exertion - which most certainly seems to be diabetic related. I suffered from burning feet for years before diagnosis, not having a clue that it was a diabetic symptom.

I am seeing GP tomorrow for my 6 monthly check, as always worrying about results.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi I just noticed your post, I have just made another post in relation to this issue, I hope the forum moderators can combine the two. I have been suffering from pain in my right hip (well buttock really), that spears up and down the whole leg, like a toothache, one day is in buttock, another in thigh, or ankle, or knee, very painful (I am T2 diagnosed 3.5 years ago).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Peripheral Neuropathy

I would ask for a second opinion from another gp in the practise, failing that ask for a referral to your local hospital.

I don't have this condition but can see it's causing you some distress, hope you get some answers soon and of course some relief from the pain.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks Noblehead, I probably will, although my GP has been really good and nice to date - my daughter suggested I print out the sheet from the diabetes site explaining that it can start on just one side, but I feel she may find this a little insulting.

bjpryde

Dislikes
liars and cold callers
DGru said:
I am a diabetic (type 2) and suffer greatly from peripheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. Sometimes the pain in my feet is dreadful and I get to my wits end. The pain is always there to a greater or lesser extent, not much lesser by the way.

Does anyone else on this forum suffer from this and how do you cope with it?

What are your medications to help relieve the pain?

How long have you had it?

Do your doctors fully understand the pain you are experiencing?

Please let me know.
Regards DGru
i,ve had peripheral for about 5yrs my feet get so sore, i,ve tried every painkiller there is, some make me house bound because of the effects so i can,t drive or go out, trying to tell the doc the feeling and pain i get is hard to explain, only if you have it then you know how it feels, now its spreading to my hands and i,m not looking forward to it, not much comfort or help for you sorry

bjpryde

Dislikes
liars and cold callers
i,ve had peripheral for about 5yrs my feet get so sore, i,ve tried every painkiller there is, some make me house bound because of the effects so i can,t drive or go out, trying to tell the doc the feeling and pain i get is hard to explain, only if you have it then you know how it feels, now its spreading to my hands and i,m not looking forward to it,