Diabetes and an Ileostomy

Cartref

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have Type 2 Diabetes and have an Ileostomy (my colon, ilium and rectum have been removed). My blood sugar level seems to fluctuate up and down and am convinced it is because of my ileostomy. I have lost weight recently and am constantly cold. Has anybody else got an ileostomy as well as having diabetes and, if so, what effect do they have?

Trevor Jarvis

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi!

I used to have a colostomy and the biggest problem I had was when I used to take metformin as the drug used to give me an upset stomach and diarrhea which meant regular pouch changes and accidents so I had to stop metformin in the end...I don't know the reason for your Ileostomy although I do suffer with Crohns disease myself and when I suffer with a flare up I do experience weight loss,much higher BG readings and also feel freezing cold so it's possible that if you too suffer with an IBD that this could be the reason why you are experiencing these symptoms and not just the fact you have an ileastomy per se

How are you managing with the Ileastomy? I found it very hard for a while but the stoma nurses were great and they even arranged a fellow ostomate to visit my house to talk to which I found helpful.

Best wishes

Paul

Cartref

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Paul for your info. I had my ileostomy operation way back in the early 1960s and am pleased to say I have never had a problem with my stoma however, since I was told I had diabetes in September 2007 I have been losing weight. I used to weigh around 11 stone now I am just under 10 stone. I have always considered myself as being a fairly active person, I cycle and play tennis as well as walking and gardening. As I said in my previous message I am convinced that having an ileostomy has something to do as to why my blood/sugar level fluctuates so much (sometimes it is extremely high and other times it is very low. I will be speaking to my doctor about this when I have my next appointment later this month.

Babs22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cartref
I also have an ileostomy and T2. I find difficulty balancing a good T2 diet with one suitable for an ileostomy, in fact I don't really think it's possible if the intention is to go low carb. How did your docs appointment go?