DIABETES AND DENTAL/GUM PROBLEM

Acharia

In the recent email it was emphasised how important is oral health for those suffering from diabetes. I wonder if the forum should start a petition for the Health Secretary that dental treatment should be free for all diabetics. If all agree why not do it right away. Thanks

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Acharia

There are certainly well demonstrated links with poor glucose control and poor dental health. There also appears to be a connection between periodontitis and other conditions such as nephropathy, heart attack and stroke. That said, it is probably not a good time to be asking for something from the Government which could be very expensive, especially when those on benefits may already qualify for assistance on income grounds

This forum is not, however, a campaigning body so cannot formulate a petition. Were a member of the forum to research and put together their own petition on http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/index.html then it may get the support of members of this forum, as well as others.

Hope this is of use

Doug

Margi

I have to agree with Doug that I believe prescriptions should only be free to those who can't afford them. If I was earning more than enough to be comfortable, I would feel guilty about getting all my treatment and medication for free when I could pay.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Which email was that?

Do I need to sign up for it?

Jane

C

catherinecherub

There is help for people on low incomes.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx

An e-petition now needs 100, 000 signatures to be debated by the Government.

I don't think that people with diabetes should accept free dental treatment as a right and nor do I think that people who can afford it should expect a cencession. The NHS is in a mess at the moment and it's survival as we now know it seems precarious.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
[quote="catherinecherub" The NHS is in a mess at the moment and it's survival as we now know it seems precarious.[/quote]

Precarious is to polite a word Catherine! :(

Nigel