Diabetes and Eye drops with antihistamines

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a question, because I've had a nuisance in the eye i took some eye drops containing naphazoline, on the sheet I've read that it's unadvisable to use it in case of diabetes.

Should I check on something when I use external anthistamines in general or is a warning because one could swallow the drops?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know the exact answer to your question but I know lots of things have the diabetes warning on them to cover the manufacturers bum. Foot baths, for example, have the warning on them but that's because diabetics might just have numbness and stick their feet into boiling water, you know how stupid we all are.

It is not my intention to make light of the warning on your eye drops, I am just saying it might just be someone safeguarding themselves.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The warning may be for those who have glaucoma which can be caused by diabetes...............hence the warning ''unadvisable to use it in case of diabetes'' on the patient leaflet. If in doubt just check with your Pharmacist.

Reactions: azure

Dark Horse

In theory, if the eye drops are used too liberally or too often, they could drain through the nasolachrimal duct into the back of the throat, be absorbed and cause a slight increase in blood glucose levels:-

Topical Sympathomimetics (Includes Naphazoline/pheniramine ophthalmic) ↔ Diabetes
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility

Applies to: Diabetes Mellitus

Topically applied sympathomimetic agents are systemically absorbed, particularly during prolonged or indiscriminate use. Slight increases in blood glucose concentrations may occur with the use of these drugs. Therapy with topical sympathomimetic agents should be administered cautiously in patients with diabetes mellitus. Closer monitoring of blood glucose concentrations may be appropriate. It is important that the recommended dosages of the individual products not be exceeded.

https://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/naphazoline-pheniramine-ophthalmic.html
There is some advice for how to reduce the risk of eye drops being absorbed via the throat here:-
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072510/

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Talked with the pharmacist. Said there is no problem if I don't swallow. In any case to wash hand before and after and to stop to use it after 4 days, and to go to the GP if the eye still itches