Diabetes and festivals

shann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm Shann.
I've had diabetes for 6 years this year in November and I don't have good control of it. But I'm going to boardmasters (a music festival) in august and I'm hoping to have control by then but has anyone got any tips/advice about going and how to handle diabetes?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Take plenty of snacks, don't drink too much, have a letter on you explaining why you need to carry needles etc, have someone who knows you and what to do in case of emergency with you but above all enjoy yourself!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@shann As a festival veteran, using both pumps and MDI, it's much easier than you think.

Key points are:
Invest in Frio wallets to keep insulin cool
Always carry your gear with you - don't leave it in the tent for someone to nick
Take what you need, not excess.
If you're going in a car, leave a small cool box in there with spare insulin and supplies.

I've never really needed to take loads of snacks - just made sure I've got glucose tabs - there are usually tons of food outlets on site so you can treat quickly with tabs and then grab food from a variety of venues, but it doesn't hurt to have them.

Brush up on your carb estimation - it's going to come in handy when you're eyeing up pie and chips or burger and chips after a few drinks.

Practice your "testing whilst moshing" technique - don't want those test strips going everywhere....

Boardmasters is relatively small so there shouldn't be a huge amount of walking about the place.

As @Ann1982 has said though, just enjoy yourself. That's the most important thing. People aren't going to care about what you're doing to yourself. They are too busy enjoying themselves...

Pramod85

Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I'm Shann.
I've had diabetes for 6 years this year in November and I don't have good control of it. But I'm going to boardmasters (a music festival) in august and I'm hoping to have control by then but has anyone got any tips/advice about going and how to handle diabetes?
Diet exercise and medications