Diabetes and PIP benefit…

Fern Hopper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cake.
Can I make a claim? Type 1 for 57 years. But I did run a 48.30 10k at the weekend.
We are all so different. Unfortunately, nowadays you really have to score lots of points to get PIP.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Can I make a claim? Type 1 for 57 years. But I did run a 48.30 10k at the weekend.
We are all so different. Unfortunately, nowadays you really have to score lots of points to get PIP.
....and jump through hoops apparently

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

Fern Hopper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cake.
Absolutely! Just being diabetic is nowhere near enough. I would score no points (and wouldn't want to).

• Friendly

Fern Hopper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cake.
But it's a strange condition. I have been, so far, very lucky. HbA1c of 37. BMI of 21.5. Half marathon of 1.57.11. 10k of 48.30. No retinopathy. No neuropathy. Cancer diagnosis and treatment recently but I recovered very quickly even though the type 1 rang a few alarm bells.

• Winner

sucuth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the past, I was an employment adviser for people with disabilities / life limiting health conditions. Something benefit claimants are not told by DWP is that if they can’t carry out one of the activities on the assessment without pain, extreme fatigue, or distress for more than 50% of the time, they should be assessed as being unable to complete that task.
The term used in the assessor manual was (probably still is) ‘can carry out the activity reliably, repeatedly, and in a timely manner’. This would be deemed to mean reliably = safely ,without pain, or distress, or such things as stumbling dropping things, hesitating; repeatedly = e.g. you could manage the activity once, but could not repeat it again within a short time frame; in a timely manner = the task could be completed in a similar time scale to somebody without your impairments.
Where many claimants slip up is that if they are asked a question e.g. can you make yourself a cup of tea? Often they say they could, when the could only , perhaps, once a day, but not every time they wanted a drink. Or they could, but would spill it or be in danger of scalding. If you can’t do a task 50% of that time, it should be recorded that you can’t do it at all.

Anxiety is more difficult to prove to an assessor. Keep diaries, and records of events that increase anxiety, but also get evidence from health care professionals.
Really good advice. You are so right. Many of us are raised to underplay any difficulties we may be having. And a seemingly innocent question like 'can you make a cup of tea' could most be answered 'yes'. A lot of us live on our own and have to do that even if it means dragging ourselves to the kettle. We would underplay how difficult that actually is to do.

• Agree

Ambermouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm doing a claim. Form now and I also have fibromyalgia and diabetes complications. It's not well known but I'm diagnosed with diabetic cheiroarthropathy which affects my hands and ability to prepare food. Just reading your comment I'm now wary of putting that as my reason but that's what it is, I've had it for 15+ years, the cheiroarthropathy I mean, I've been T1 for 41 years, but it really does affect my ability to grip, 2 if my fingers are starting to bend inwards and I have bad pain with everything that involves gripping so even writing. Alot of my difficulties cross over with diabetes and fibromyalgia so I don't know what's best to go on. We also need to get Rishi Sunak out of parliament before he does change PIP to vouchers, that is ridiculously stupid. I'm really struggling being out of work but I've worked all my life from leaving school, went to university, got a degree and I'm a social worker, or rather was before I had to give up work nearly 2 years ago. I literally cannot afford to live now, I need that PIP to survive but they took so long to diagnose me, I've only just now been able to get a claim going as I knew there was no point in trying just based off my diabetes even though I don't think they have a clue of how badly it affects daily living when you have multiple complications from it!
I’ve been a T1 now for 58 yrs and like many others have also been diagnosed with FM along with another 6 conditions. I told my sister last week that “you don’t realise I walk continuously on a tightrope as alongside living alone my other conditions become chronic and painstakingly debilitating. I am very independant and want to remain so but had to give up work 2 yrs ago due to FM which the doctor advised I had had it 20yrs before I went to him. I had pip and was give a light touch for 10yrs last year, but because it’s imprinted on your brain that if anything changes you must notify DWP otherwise they will stop your benefit. I did and was called in for a face to face which was then all taken away from me and stopped. I am currently putting in an appeal as no benefit has been given since the 6th of March. This I had to ring up to find out as it seems since putting in my forms in Dec about the changes to my health, no response on outcome had been received. It seems they sent it by post 7 March and to this day was not received until I received a copy of it in 20th April, by which time the appeal date had gone well over 30 days. CAB has assisted me completing the appeal form so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for hopefully a satisfactory outcome. As I’ve now reached 66 and have been on pip since 2021 so it’s important that due to age now I am returned back to where it was left before.

Ambermouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been a T1 now for 58 yrs and like many others have also been diagnosed with FM along with another 6 conditions. I told my sister last week that “you don’t realise I walk continuously on a tightrope as alongside living alone my other conditions become chronic and painstakingly debilitating. I am very independant and want to remain so but had to give up work 2 yrs ago due to FM which the doctor advised I had had it 20yrs before I went to him. I had pip and was give a light touch for 10yrs last year, but because it’s imprinted on your brain that if anything changes you must notify DWP otherwise they will stop your benefit. I did and was called in for a face to face which was then all taken away from me and stopped. I am currently putting in an appeal as no benefit has been given since the 6th of March. This I had to ring up to find out as it seems since putting in my forms in Dec about the changes to my health, no response on outcome had been received. It seems they sent it by post 7 March and to this day was not received until I received a copy of it in 20th April, by which time the appeal date had gone well over 30 days. CAB has assisted me completing the appeal form so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for hopefully a satisfactory outcome. As I’ve now reached 66 and have been on pip since 2021 so it’s important that due to age now I am returned back to where it was left before.
You could say “you’re damned if you do and dammed if you don’t”.

Reactions: Angela82 and jjraak

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Ambermouse
I hope your appeal is successful.

• Agree

Fern Hopper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cake.
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of gall bladder difficulties and diabetes? I have had some typical symptoms and pain. I was instructed by 111 to call my GP - not seen one for a while. It was very obvious that the questions being asked where leading up to cholecystitis et al. After brief examination, during which I was told I was very skinny, more tests booked, unfortunately.
I feel very lucky that after 57 years I don't have to manage any other conditions, apart from the still lurking cancer. I am still fit and well.
How do you manage 6 other conditions? You're more stoical and braver than me.
Just had a terrible thought! As a reward for running in the morning (Saturday, Sunday and Thursday) I like to have a croissant, with some berries and mascarpone. Will that be considered too much fatty food if I have gallbladder problems? I also run Tuesday and Friday evening, but haven't, as yet, found a fatty treat after that!

Angela82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe they've done this to you they just done care do they? And then they wonder why people don't want to report any changes. I really hope you get it all reinstated as it was before, or even better. Keep us posted and how you get on with them. In not holding out much hope tbh, I got a text saying my form is now with IAS and they are now dealing with it. I just hope they take it seriously, I've sent tonnes of evidence with mine!

• Friendly

Angela82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of gall bladder difficulties and diabetes? I have had some typical symptoms and pain. I was instructed by 111 to call my GP - not seen one for a while. It was very obvious that the questions being asked where leading up to cholecystitis et al. After brief examination, during which I was told I was very skinny, more tests booked, unfortunately.
I feel very lucky that after 57 years I don't have to manage any other conditions, apart from the still lurking cancer. I am still fit and well.
How do you manage 6 other conditions? You're more stoical and braver than me.
Just had a terrible thought! As a reward for running in the morning (Saturday, Sunday and Thursday) I like to have a croissant, with some berries and mascarpone. Will that be considered too much fatty food if I have gallbladder problems? I also run Tuesday and Friday evening, but haven't, as yet, found a fatty treat after that!
I don't think that would be any issue at all, you do exercise so you can definitely treat yourself. I was in hospital a few years back as I was unable to stop vomiting, nothing they gave me worked, I was vomiting for 6 days solid. While there I started to get a really bad pain in my left side that really hurt alot even just breathing, they them found out that I had a gallbladder infection but apart from that, I've never had any issues with my gallbladder. Luckily for me it was a one off. I'm not sure if that's what caused all the sickness but that was all that was found, however the pain started some days after I'd been admitted. I also have 4 diabetes complications and FM, it's stopped me working and I'm so angry about it, I loved my job and I pushed and pushed myself until I just didn't have the energy to continue anymore. Its really affected my mental health not being in work. Anyway, good luck, and don't worry about an odd treat.

• Hug