Diabetes Breakfasts

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just been looking at breakfasts recipes and note some recommend a substance called agave nectar. I'd never heard of this. so I looked it up on the interweb. From one dietician it stated it was worst than sugar. Any views on this?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it's 75% carbohydrate.. if you are following a low carb high fat diet then avoid like the plague. Personally I don't use any sweetener and am trying to re-educate my palette to not crave sweetness. Seems to be working although I do get the occasional desire for some chocolate.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes Agave is just another sugar but in fact it's fructose which is worse than sucrose. Don't use it.

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
it's 75% carbohydrate.. if you are following a low carb high fat diet then avoid like the plague. Personally I don't use any sweetener and am trying to re-educate my palette to not crave sweetness. Seems to be working although I do get the occasional desire for some chocolate.

Many thanks.

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Yes Agave is just another sugar but in fact it's fructose which is worse than sucrose. Don't use it.

I will certainly avoid. Surprising as it was in the recommended breakfasts following week four of Louise's Low Carb presentations.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
..and think of it, fructose was once recommended for diabetics!! I wasn't diabetic those days, but my aunt was and everytime she was to come for visit, we did 'diabetic baking'...used fructose instead of normal sugar...HAH!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will certainly avoid. Surprising as it was in the recommended breakfasts following week four of Louise's Low Carb presentations.
Hm. Some re-thinking required there them. Think I looked at wk 4 and must have missed that.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..and think of it, fructose was once recommended for diabetics!! I wasn't diabetic those days, but my aunt was and everytime she was to come for visit, we did 'diabetic baking'...used fructose instead of normal sugar...HAH!
Presumably because it was more natural like hemlock

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agave Nectar is an essential part of a decent Mojito.

Other than that, no use at all.