Would an informational interactive game help a new diabetic/diabetic child?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BellaG

Hey,
I'm a 20 year old graphic design student in Bournemouth who wants to help make new diabetics, children and their parents, lives a bit easier if I can. I have a friend who has had type 1 diabetes since he was 9, who has always said the hardest part of it was when he was a child and newly diagnosed. Especially: carb counting, finding it boring, understanding diabetes, finding being injected uncomfortable and it being hard for a parent to know how to take care of him.
Which made me think an informative game for a child/new diabetic/parent to play could teach them about diabetes, and to not be bored and uncomfortable. The game could be like a toy/interactive room or an app.
I want to hear any parent/newly diagnosed diabetic or child's opinion on if my idea could help, and if not, what could?

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now I am no child (14 years old) and I'm not newly diagnosed either (been about a year and a half) but I had an idea that could help you maybe? So my idea is that you set up an app where it has children doing their blood sugar getting injected etc and when the injection is done they show that it does not hurt at all and they tell them that by using a speech bubble maybe? This would of course be aimed at children maybe age 5 -10 but it may make children less scared of the needle. And they can do this every time at an injection and they can press a button on the app saying 'My turn' the adult would inject them and as a reward for the child being so brave they could be aloud to play a game within the app that could have nothing to do with diabetes or it could have maybe?

I don't know wether this is a good idea or not I've just let my ideas flow out a bit.

Reactions: Ann1982 and BellaG

BellaG

Now I am no child (14 years old) and I'm not newly diagnosed either (been about a year and a half) but I had an idea that could help you maybe? So my idea is that you set up an app where it has children doing their blood sugar getting injected etc and when the injection is done they show that it does not hurt at all and they tell them that by using a speech bubble maybe? This would of course be aimed at children maybe age 5 -10 but it may make children less scared of the needle. And they can do this every time at an injection and they can press a button on the app saying 'My turn' the adult would inject them and as a reward for the child being so brave they could be aloud to play a game within the app that could have nothing to do with diabetes or it could have maybe?

I don't know wether this is a good idea or not I've just let my ideas flow out a bit.

Thanks so much for replying! That's a really good idea, are there any apps out there like it? If you were being injected would you rather play a game related to diabetes to be informative, or a completely different game to keep yourself distracted? :)

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me being 14 I'd rather play a game that has nothing to do with it but if I was a parent I'd want my child to learn more about what they have so I'd rather them play a game to do with it and I don't think there are not that I know of anyway

pierre.jay.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had t1 for 2 years and still sometimes struggle with carb counting. an app to help improve carb counting would be great