Diabetes link to Statins

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Why oh WHY are we given and take tablets that seem to cause other illnesses and why are we not told about the dangers of taking these tablets and given a choice to start with on wether we want to take them ??...its a need to know now Should we as Diabetics take Statins and should we also take Q10 ..when I asked my doc about taking vitamins he said not necesary so have not had any...muddles me I am on statins and level do go up and down however i did stop taking them for a time and it made no difference to my levels :eek: BUT I do have an Iron deficiency and have already had one Iron Infusion and another to be given this Friday coming....maybe need make a list of why and whats to ask the Doc when i go... chuckles :(;)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Eurobuff,

Yes, that's the one: I find one 100mg capsule a day is enough. No idea what the B1 adds. I've had no side effects at all from Q10, but possibly the B1 addresses the side effects others have reported? I started on a 30mg a day capsule, increased it to 60mg after a week then switched to the 100mg capsule after about a month.

I do hope that Q10 helps your mother. I don't know anything about her health, but I wouldn't take statins even if I could tolerate them: there's no evidence I've seen that statins help women avoid heart problems, and some evidence that high cholesterol is actually protective after the menopause.

Kate

Thanks for that, my mother found that they are on offer at Tesco (checking the ingredients they seem like the same thing), so she's ordered the 100 mg to come with the shopping. When you say you started with a smaller dose and gradually built it up, is that what is recommended, or would it be OK to start with 100mg from the start. My mother's cholesterol has always been fine, but when she became diabetic the doctor put her on Statins because she was diabetic, he said that cholesterol needs to be lower when diabetic. She was already taking tablets for her high blood pressure at this point & had been for about 16 years. She's got an appointment with the doctor for later on in the week to talk everything through.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you started with a smaller dose and gradually built it up, is that what is recommended, or would it be OK to start with 100mg from the start.
I only started on a lower dose because that was what was available: the consultant actually recommended a much higher dose, but I couldn't afford it. I've never met anyone who had side effects, but I'm not a doctor and don't have proper statistics.

Regarding whether your mother should continue to be on statins at all, reading this board and talking to friends I've got the impression that it's always a battle: whether it's because doctors genuinely believe that lowering cholesterol is good or whether it's financial, doctors generally seem to want to put and keep patients on statins. I'd suggest you and your mother read up about the whole controversy (Dr Malcolm McKendrick's blog puts the case against statins and cholesterol-lowering well and amusingly) and form a view. I do know one person who keeps atorvastatin on his repeat prescription but doesn't fill that part of the prescription or take the statin: he does this to avoid confrontation with his GP.

Good luck,
Kate

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Started atorvastatin yesterday will see how things go.