Diabetes problems

tilly71

I've been diabetic for 7yrs with no problems, I don't know what's happened but my sugars are up and my blood test was 77 , I'm being extra good since finding out last Thursday and before food my blood sugars are 7.4 but 2hrs after its shooting straight up to 18.5 . advice please would be appreciated

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you changed anything lately or perhaps you have an infection or virus that would raise your BG.

tilly71

I've not been ill . one thing I know which I know was very wrong and bad and I'm really annoyed at myself for. was putting sugar in my tea over the past few months. so that's probably done the blood test from the doctors.
I put a complete stop to it last Thursday. And my morning blood sugars are good at 7.4 but after 2hrs from eating its 18.5 I'm eating healthy I don't understand what's wrong, I had 2 poached eggs with bacon medallions 2 slices brown bread and some beans.........
I'm having healthy sausages with mash cabbage and gravy for tea I will measure again after 2hrs , I'm drinking tea, water and diet coke

tilly71

I've not been ill . one thing I know which I know was very wrong and bad and I'm really annoyed at myself for. was putting sugar in my tea over the past few months. so that's probably done the blood test from the doctors.
I put a complete stop to it last Thursday. And my morning blood sugars are good at 7.4 but after 2hrs from eating its 18.5 I'm eating healthy I don't understand what's wrong, I had 2 poached eggs with bacon medallions 2 slices brown bread and some beans.........
I'm having healthy sausages with mash cabbage and gravy for tea I will measure again after 2hrs , I'm drinking tea, water and diet coke
I also use flora light and 1% milk and sweeteners

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tilly can I make a suggestion try without the bread and beans, I can have a half slice of bread but only if its been fried and beans send my numbers into orbit, just a case of eat and test .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It could have something to do with the brown bread, or the sauce in the beans.
Gravy is usually full of carbs as well, just how healthy are the sausage?

Mind you saying that your spike seems unusually high at two hours, if you get an unusual reading, retest to make sure, it could be a rogue reading.

tilly71

It could have something to do with the brown bread, or the sauce in the beans.
Gravy is usually full of carbs as well, just how healthy are the sausage?

Mind you saying that your spike seems unusually high at two hours, if you get an unusual reading, retest to make sure, it could be a rogue reading.
Thanks I will take these into account . low fat butchers sausage they use in slimming world

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks I will take these into account . low fat butchers sausage they use in slimming world
Not having the benefit of seeing the make up of these type of sausage, but usually seeing low fat makes me fear for my blood glucose levels. As the manufacturers usually takes the fats out and replaces them with sugar or carbs. I eat a full fat diet, rather than a low fat. Full fat makes me digest slower and is kinder to my blood glucose levels. It also helps me feel fuller.
So I eat less.
Have a read around the low carb forum, it has some great ideas for keeping your blood glucose levels in control.

Reactions: 4 people

tilly71

Its now 2hrs after tea and my blood sugars is 20.0 absolutely devastated I will cut out bread and potatoes tomorrow , I'm planning salmon and veg for tea but don't know what to have for breakfast maybe just poached eggs and bacon medallions, but that won't fill me, help needed

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Its now 2hrs after tea and my blood sugars is 20.0 absolutely devastated I will cut out bread and potatoes tomorrow , I'm planning salmon and veg for tea but don't know what to have for breakfast maybe just poached eggs and bacon medallions, but that won't fill me, help needed
You could add mushrooms, toms, maybe some black pudding.
I have full fat yoghurt with a few berries for breakfast, that fills me up.
There are other low carb ideas on the low carb forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello tilly71, you might like this for a filling start to the day ,crack 3 eggs into a bowl,add 3 tablespoons of cream,2 tablespoons of almond flour( fine) 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed( fine) a good blend and at this stage add any herb or spice you like( i usually add
1/2 teaspoon of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of chilli ,mix well then fry gently in butter( 1 oz) for minimum of 6 to 7 mins ,then under a moderate grill to brown for another 5 mins , you will find this very filling and i make it last 2'days kept in the fridge.ps approx 12g of carbs in total

Reactions: 4 people

tilly71

You could add mushrooms, toms, maybe some black pudding.
I have full fat yoghurt with a few berries for breakfast, that fills me up.
There are other low carb ideas on the low carb forum.
Thank you. You've made me realise something else I was doing wrong. The full fat and low fat thing. I've always thought it was like dieting. After seven yrs of the medication working on the diabetes. Its time I got my head in to gear. Hope I've caught it in time. Scared I've done some damage

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. You've made me realise something else I was doing wrong. The full fat and low fat thing. I've always thought it was like dieting. After seven yrs of the medication working on the diabetes. Its time I got my head in to gear. Hope I've caught it in time. Scared I've done some damage
It's never too late, it's a marathon not a sprint. We are all human, we all make mistakes.
You just have to learn from them.
Let us know how you get on.
Keep posting and read the forums.
There nowt like discovering new things, learn about how control of your blood glucose levels can really help you.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe you can still revert back to where your BS levels were. You provided details of your diet, but did not indicate if you are exercising like walking or running. May be now is the time to start.

Before doing anything, I suggest that you do a full blood analysis, inluding HbA1c, lipids etc. Then determine what needs to be done. Even for exercises, do not hit the ground running, in other words do not take any drastic decisions that might adversely impact your body. May be you can consult your GP/ seniors members here on this forum with the blood analysis.