Diabetes recently diagnosed 6 month ago!

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Was recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2. 6 months ago, has absolutely knocked me for six, caused me really bad health anxiety.

I managed to put it into remission by following a low carb diet, however this caused my cholestrol to increase. I have now started trying to introduce carbs again, to my surprise my body looks to be handling it well. One Potato, salmon and salad my starting was 5.6 and then it went to 5.7 two hours after which I was pleased with.

I have a constant fear that this could be type 1 as I have seen posts from people who where diagnosed type 1 even though they had normal blood sugars.

I should also mention I'm not on any medication!

Had recent blood work done and my hba1c was 33. Total cholestrol 4.8, hdl 1.2 , ldl 3.6.
I seem to also be getting froth in my urine but docs said everything came back satisfactory.

Nice to meet you all!

• Winner
Reactions: Guilty

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I have a constant fear that this could be type 1 as I have seen posts from people who where diagnosed type 1 even though they had normal blood sugars.
Welcome jakeinhd1995, fantastic Hba1c, congratulations.
The problem with anxiety is letting your mind dwell on things that are not happening at the moment and more than likely will not happen in the future.
Don't believe everything you read, especially about diabetes , if anyone were to go to the Dr's and their blood test showed normal levels, they would not be diagnosed with any type of diabetes, and especially not T1.
Let's face it if your own immune system is killing off your insulin producing cells, you are not going to have normal blood sugar.
And with an unmedicated Hba1c of 33 , your are about as far away from T1 as it's possible to get.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Jakeinhd1995 Congratulations on your T2D remission. An HbA1C is much better than just an average remission.

You don't say what your Triglyceride numbers are in your Lipid profile, but if they are reasonable, then I'm a little surprise you are concerned about Cholesterol - especially since you appear to follow Dav Feldman (or Dr Tro) and so know that for Lean Mass Hyper Reponders on a Low Carb/Keto diet, increasing carbs slightly almost always reduces LDL.

See my thread on the 'CholesterolJoe' experiment.

mysorian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Diagnosed around 1977 Type 2. Still, type 2. Looks like I am a Type 2 guy by default.
I like the new CGMs, but not their price.
Walking helps, but it must be immediately after a meal. The reason is that the glucose starts rising as soon as you start eating. Easy to see with a CGM.