Diabetes Type 3?

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
The association between Alzheimer’s and diabetes 2 is long-established: type 2 sufferers are two to three times more likely to be struck by this dementia than the general population(9). There are also associations between Alzheimer’s and obesity(10) and Alzheimer’s and metabolic syndrome (a complex of diet-related pathologies)(11).

A large body of evidence now suggests that Alzheimer’s is primarily a metabolic disease. Some scientists have gone so far as to rename it. They call it diabetes type 3.

The evidence linking Alzheimer’s disease to the food industry is strong and growing.

A scarcely-regulated food industry can engineer its products – loading them with fat, salt, sugar and high fructose corn syrup – to bypass the neurological signals which would otherwise prompt people to stop eating(25). It can bombard both adults and children with advertising. It can (as we discovered yesterday) use the freedoms granted to academy schools to sell the chocolate, sweets and fizzy drinks now banned from sale in maintained schools(26). It can kill the only effective system (the traffic light label) for informing people how much fat, sugar and salt their food contains. Then it can turn to the government and blame consumers for eating the products it sells. This is class war: a war against the poor fought by the executive class in government and industry.

We cannot yet state unequivocally that poor diet is a leading cause of Alzheimer’s disease, though we can say that the evidence is strong and growing. But if ever there was a case for the precautionary principle, here it is. It’s not as if we lose anything by eating less rubbish. Averting a possible epidemic of this devastating disease means taking on the bullies: those who mock people for their pathologies and those who spread the pathologies by peddling a lethal diet.

Full story; link below,,,,,,, http://www.monbiot.com/2012/09/10/the-mind-thieves/

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

There is a type 3 ...and an awful lot of families that have to cope with someone with dementia without diet being the cause ....

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Hi Kat100

Indeed there is. My mum is in her mid-seventies, has type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s. The diabetes is well controlled and she is otherwise extremely healthy and very active. Never sipped an alcoholic drink in her life or puffed on a cigarette.

Like today, diabetes UK publishes findings regularly from research regarding food and how it can impact on health in a positive or negative way. Of course, according to experts, there is no single cause of type 2 diabetes; genes, diet, environment, alcohol dependence, too much or prolonged stress, ……

Better to have access to all the information/research though.

All the best
Al

Reactions: 2 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well as a Type 3c which hardly anybody hears about
People who fall into the type 3 group are there via either, accidental trauma to panc, surgery to panc, auto immune problems, dementia.
I have the task of trying to maintain BS with LCHF diet but also trying to live on a low fat high carb diet, so Somewhere in between, as yet haven't quite gotten he balance right.