Diabetic?...can the doctor be wrong?

Kimbers1634

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi there,

So I went to the doctors a few weeks ago complaining of tiredness, particularly falling asleep when I driving :( which is really scary. I always stop but don't always know I'm doing it. Anyway, they took a blood sample the day after around lunch time, I had breakfast a few hours before and it was 2.8...

They then asked for a fasting test which came back at 5 so now they don't think there is anything to be worried about. Even though I did another test myself the day after which came back again at 2.8.

I have been measuring my own bloods this week and most mornings it has been between 6.6 and 7.3.

Is this normal and should I be worried?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you tell us what meds and your typical diet etc. you are having hypos but it's why you are having them.
Do you test before eating and two hours after and any other symptoms?

Kimbers1634

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Can you tell us what meds and your typical diet etc. you are having hypos but it's why you are having them.
Do you test before eating and two hours after and any other symptoms?

I'm sorry, I didn't write that very well. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, that's what I want to know if the doctor can be wrong about, are my blood sugars normal for a non diabetic?

I'm not on meds and eat well, lots of fresh fruit and vegs and I eat at regular intervals.

I bought my own monitor this week to try and keep an eye on things so probably haven't been doing them at the right times. I have just done them, haven't eaten for a few hours and just about to eat my tea and they are 7.8. I haven't eaten since lunch when I had a bagel with cheese and some fruit.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All through my ordeal, I never did fall asleep as you describe. Even though it's a common symptom for hypos.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I
I'm sorry, I didn't write that very well. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, that's what I want to know if the doctor can be wrong about, are my blood sugars normal for a non diabetic?

I'm not on meds and eat well, lots of fresh fruit and vegs and I eat at regular intervals.

I bought my own monitor this week to try and keep an eye on things so probably haven't been doing them at the right times. I have just done them, haven't eaten for a few hours and just about to eat my tea and they are 7.8. I haven't eaten since lunch when I had a bagel with cheese and some fruit.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not diabetic either. What peeked my interest was the hypo numbers after eating and the fasting bloods being normal. I am reactive hypoglycaemic.
Have a read around sand search the topics on this condition them do tests and see if you recognise the symptoms.
The falling asleep at the wheel should alarm you.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The usually way though not always is actually having hypers, when blood sugar is high above 12 and doesn't drop
You need to be testing when you wake up before breakfast, then just before lunch and 2 hours after, then before tea and 2 hours after
Then before bed.

If you also test between meals and readings are low eat something, has the doctor tested for thyroid function and anemia?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your 7.8 is a little high for the length you haven't eaten. Have a relatively high carb meal. Test before and then 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours without eating or drinking except water. This will tell you what your pancreas is doing. Let us know!
Nosher

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
G
The usually way though not always is actually having hypers, when blood sugar is high above 12 and doesn't drop
You need to be testing when you wake up before breakfast, then just before lunch and 2 hours after, then before tea and 2 hours after
Then before bed.

If you also test between meals and readings are low eat something, has the doctor tested for thyroid function and anemia?
Good points. Don't rule anything out at the moment.

Kimbers1634

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all.

I have had tests for thyroid and anaemia and they came back fine.

I will keep a check over the next few days and post my results!

The falling asleep at the wheel really is bad, I'm not tired when I get in my car then it's just like something comes over me, my eyes start to shake and I get very drowsy, I think I'm staying awake but then my head jolts so I had been asleep! It's only for a matter of seconds that I'm actually asleep but the drowsy feeling lasts a lot longer. I no longer have to drive long distances for work as they are aware and have been very supportive.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok. If you think you are having a hypo, take something low carb and a cup of tea to gently raise your BSLs. Let us know.

Also eat regularly through the day.

Reactions: 2 people