Diabetic dog

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't now, but the dog I had when I wa young was an insulin dependent poodle. I remember the routine of catching her wee in a morning, testing it for glucose and ketones, then adjusting her dose based on the previous days dose.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes, a common condition for humans, is also relatively common in domestic animals like dogs. Type I diabetes is the more severe form of the disease, as it is dependent on daily insulin injections for maintaining blood sugar balance.

An affected dog will be hungry a lot of the time, since glucose is not making it to the brain; glucose levels in the brain are too low for the brain to register that it is receiving food. Because insulin is not giving the muscles and organs the signal to convert glucose to energy, the excess glucose in the blood will be carried out of the body in urine instead of being used for energy, and there will be a concurrent lack of energy. There is also increased thirst as a result of the increase in urine. The liver is adversely affected by this condition, as are the eyes and kidneys.