Diabetic Eye Screening Feeling Sick With Headache

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I had the Diabetic Eye Screening Test and I wasn't expecting the side effects I'm experiencing. Struggling to see computer screen and pain in eyes. Within minutes of having the drops put in my eyes (my goodness I wasn't expecting the drops to hurt so much) I developed a headache and started to feel really sick.

Screening lady said that it was unusual to have such a reaction, I was just unlucky. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced sickness, pain in eyes (like eye strain) and headache and am I really just an unlucky case?

Literally having to touch type as it's hurting to much to look at screen. Had the drops at 11.15am this morning, so this is 5hrs on and I'm still struggling with brightness, pain in eyes but the sickness has abated thank goodness but the headache is coming back trying to read this as I type.

Developed Type 2 two days become xmas, reversed the diabetes in 3 months.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know when I have them done my eyes normally sting for a good few minutes (with some added cursing throw in) but it does normally calm down for me in a short amount of time. The blurriness and light sensitivity take a good 4 hours or so to sort themselves out - I tend to hide inside as far from the sun as possible.

If your eyes still hurt though I'd be phoning your doctor about it to get it checked.

Reactions: GeminiMum

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Step away from your computer/tech. Blue light isn't great at the best of times. I sat in a darkened room for a few hours after my screening. Hope you recover very soon.

Reactions: 22nw22 and dbr10

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of times in the last 20 odd years it has triggered a migraine, but usually it's just unpleasant.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if the headache and sickness is stress and worry related? I hid in a sleeping bag and slept for a few hours after my screening - I was feeling strangely violated - a bit like going to the dentist!

Reactions: 22nw22

mr_cat

sorry your eyes hurt still, mercifully i don't have such a reaction.
In fact I had a scan a few days back and it occurred to me that my favourite bit was the pupil dilating drops , yes it stings initially for sure.
After the drops I just go outside and watch the light around me as the pupils dilate saturated colours and day glow highlights.
sunglasses for break are must though!

Reactions: porl69

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Had the drops at 11.15am this morning, so this is 5hrs on and I'm still struggling with brightness, pain in eyes but the sickness has abated thank goodness but the headache is coming back trying to read this as I type.

It does sound like an unusual reaction, I've been lucky in the 21 years of having this test. You should mention this to your GP or DN and certainly say something before they use the drops again. Maybe there's an alternative.

Edit: there is, Google "alternatives for dilating eyes". There's something called Optomap but I doubt the NHS has access to such a device, might be wrong though. Maybe a cost option.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have never have had a headache after an eye examination, apart from the initial sting from the eye drops all good.

I do not go near a computer, or brightly lit places till my eyes have come back to normal four to five hours later.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woken at 5am by a circling helicopter. I still have the odd pressure headache that I went to bed with. Both eyes feel like they have eye strain and pressure in them.

Yesterday my right eye pupil didn’t appear to go back to normal size. My right eye still seems slightly blurry and I might be wrong doesn’t appear to be same size as left eye.

Obviously it’s dark so can’t tell 100% for sure if right eye sight is normal or not. Trying not to panic yet, praying damage hasn’t occurred from those horrendous drops.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woken at 5am by a circling helicopter. I still have the odd pressure headache that I went to bed with. Both eyes feel like they have eye strain and pressure in them.

Yesterday my right eye pupil didn’t appear to go back to normal size. My right eye still seems slightly blurry and I might be wrong doesn’t appear to be same size as left eye.

Obviously it’s dark so can’t tell 100% for sure if right eye sight is normal or not. Trying not to panic yet, praying damage hasn’t occurred from those horrendous drops.
You seem to have had a much worse reaction to the drops than most people but describing them as horrendous and suggesting they may have damaged your eyes seems excessive and might put someone off having this vital test. They must do hundreds of thousands of these tests and any danger would have been identified by now. The drops sting a bit but nowhere near as bad as getting soap in your eye and most people's eyesight seems to be back to normal in about 4 hours. I went home on the train with no problem, just wore my prescription sunglasses as they advise.

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know when I have them done my eyes normally sting for a good few minutes (with some added cursing throw in) but it does normally calm down for me in a short amount of time. The blurriness and light sensitivity take a good 4 hours or so to sort themselves out - I tend to hide inside as far from the sun as possible.

If your eyes still hurt though I'd be phoning your doctor about it to get it checked.

I've made an appointment at an opticians, I've also spoken to the Diabetic Eye Screening person who said it is rare to have such a bad reaction and it could be an allergy to the drops or could have increased pressure in my eyes. My eyes feel like they are under strain/pressure. I'm just hoping that the optician can rule out anything sinister and it's an allergy, I do have an allergy with anaesthetics and sensitivities to certain food groups so it would be that (that's what I'm hoping anyway).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've made an appointment at an opticians, I've also spoken to the Diabetic Eye Screening person who said it is rare to have such a bad reaction and it could be an allergy to the drops or could have increased pressure in my eyes. My eyes feel like they are under strain/pressure. I'm just hoping that the optician can rule out anything sinister and it's an allergy, I do have an allergy with anaesthetics and sensitivities to certain food groups so it would be that (that's what I'm hoping anyway).

I always receive a leaflet/slip of paper as I leave my eye screening, which gives me all the usual warnings about driving etc.

For the first couple of times, it also had the names of two different dilating drops, with one box ticked, to indicate what had been used, so that one could report or mention it next time, should there be any adverse reaction.

It now appears in my area one sort of drops are used, unless an allergy/reaction is previously noted for the person, so probably worthwhile ensuring your discomfort is noted on your record.

I hope your optician is able to reassure you and you're more comfortable soon.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @GeminiMum, I am wondering whether the eye drops were the ones that dilate the pupil and make treading vision blurry.
That makes it difficult to withstand bright light as the pupils cannot contract to reduce the amount of light going into your eyes. ?? maybe set off a migraine ??
Usually one is given a reversal drop to counteract the dilating drops once the examination is over. The pupils usually revert to normal size after a few hours. Maybe the reversal drops were forgotten and it took many hours for your pupils to return to normal size ? (It has happened to me)!
It seems like a wise precaution to get your eyes rechecked including an eye pressure test.

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your support. I have to admit to being pretty scared on waking to find headache still there, pressure in eyes and my right eye pupil & vision still hadn't returned to "normal". I managed to book an emergency appointment with what turned out to be a optician who had a special interest in diabetic eyes, he did all the checks and given the chat with the Screen person this morning we've concluded it appears I've had an allergic reaction to the drops. I have allergies to certain anaesthetic, plus food sensitivities, so I came home, took an antihistamine about 45 minutes ago and the headache has almost gone but importantly that pressure feeling in my eyes has gone and I can use the computer again (I'm self employed, use the computer a lot for my work, so was probably even more worried as I couldn't work yesterday or this morning).

Interestingly the optician said that there are some people who's eyes take over 24hrs for the vision to settle - again this appears to be the case for me.

So going forward, no more drops, apparently they is an alternative drop or they can try without drops.

Thank you all for your help and support.

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Usually one is given a reversal drop to counteract the dilating drops once the examination is over.
Are you sure? I have never heard any mention of reversal drops.
Same here I've never had reversal drops, I just get sent on my merry way and be told it'll sort itself out.
Maybe it's something they do in Australia, but not in the UK.

Reactions: kitedoc

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if the headache and sickness is stress and worry related? I hid in a sleeping bag and slept for a few hours after my screening - I was feeling strangely violated - a bit like going to the dentist!

It appears I have an allergy to the drops, I've seen opticians since I was about 12, have all the regular tests, drops in eyes and all good, but yesterdays drops really didn't like me. Literally within a few minutes of having the drops I thought I was going to be sick and then the headache hit. Anyway positive is that I won't have those drops again, apparently they can try the test without them and there is an alternative drop (though at the moment I'm leaning towards the no drop rout!).

Dark Horse

Hi @GeminiMum, I am wondering whether the eye drops were the ones that dilate the pupil and make treading vision blurry.
That makes it difficult to withstand bright light as the pupils cannot contract to reduce the amount of light going into your eyes. ?? maybe set off a migraine ??
Usually one is given a reversal drop to counteract the dilating drops once the examination is over. The pupils usually revert to normal size after a few hours. Maybe the reversal drops were forgotten and it took many hours for your pupils to return to normal size ? (It has happened to me)!
It seems like a wise precaution to get your eyes rechecked including an eye pressure test.
The UK eye screening service does not use any 'reversal' drops.

Dark Horse

It does sound like an unusual reaction, I've been lucky in the 21 years of having this test. You should mention this to your GP or DN and certainly say something before they use the drops again. Maybe there's an alternative.

Edit: there is, Google "alternatives for dilating eyes". There's something called Optomap but I doubt the NHS has access to such a device, might be wrong though. Maybe a cost option.
The quality of the images obtained from Optomap is not good enough for diabetic eye screening.

Dark Horse

It appears I have an allergy to the drops, I've seen opticians since I was about 12, have all the regular tests, drops in eyes and all good, but yesterdays drops really didn't like me. Literally within a few minutes of having the drops I thought I was going to be sick and then the headache hit. Anyway positive is that I won't have those drops again, apparently they can try the test without them and there is an alternative drop (though at the moment I'm leaning towards the no drop rout!).
The vast majority of people have no real problems with the eye drops and they are considered very safe. Unfortunately, a small number of people do develop an allergy - make sure you see your GP so this is entered in your medical records. When you are given your next eye screening appointment, it's worth phoning the screening service to make sure they know about the allergy so they can try and make allowances for it.